Nepal | May 27, 2020

Government urges World Bank to invest in Upper Arun Hydel

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, May 20

The government has proposed the World Bank to lead investment in the peaking run-of-the-river 1,061 megawatt Upper Arun Hydropower Project, located in the Sankhuwasabha district.

In a virtual meeting held today, Minister for Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation Barshaman Pun made the proposal to Faris H Hadad-Zervos, the World Bank’s country manager for Nepal, stating that the construction of Upper Arun Hydropower Project has been accorded high priority in the policies and programmes of the government for upcoming fiscal year 2020-21.

During the meeting, Minister Pun urged the World Bank to take the lead in financial management of the project.

“The detailed project report (DPR) of Upper Arun, which is being supported by the World Bank, has reached the final stage,” he said.

In response, Faris promised to take Minister Pun’s proposal to the top level of the World Bank.

“I know Upper Arun is a good project. I will take the proposal of the minister to my top management,” he said.

The government has already decided to move ahead with the construction of the project in the company model under Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA).

NEA’s subsidiary, Arun Hydro Electric Company Ltd has been assigned to build the project.

The project is estimated to cost more than Rs 120 billion.

As per the earlier agreement, along with the World Bank, the European Investment Bank, Employee’s Provident Fund and the Citizen Investment Trust, have also agreed to provide financing for the project.

Other donor agencies have also expressed interest to invest in the project.

As per NEA, the project will manage 30 per cent of equity and remaining 70 per cent of investment through loan.

After completion of the project, it will generate 4.47 billion units of electricity annually and 28 per cent of the electricity will be generated in the dry season.

The NEA plans to complete the project in seven years.

On October 22 last year, the energy ministry had issued a survey licence to NEA for the project.

A version of this article appears in e-paper on May 21, 2020, of The Himalayan Times.

Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Nepal reports highest single-day spike, Covid-19 spreads to 46 districts

KATHMANDU: Health Ministry on Tuesday confirmed 90 new cases of coronavirus infection which has taken the Covid-19 case tally to 772 in the country. This is the highest single-day total recorded in Nepal, so far. The new infections were detected through tests carried out at the National Public Read More...

Chinese climbers scale Mt Everest

KATHMANDU: A team of rope fixing Chinese climbers today scaled the world’s highest peak opening a climbing route to the top of Mt Everest from the northern side. The team reached the top of the world at around 2:25 pm by fixing ropes above 8,300 m on Tuesday, according to a source at the ba Read More...

PUBG rules as country languishes in ever extending lockdown

KATHMANDU: Esports in Nepal is still in its infancy but given the rise of the gaming community, it’s slowly but surely gaining traction. The Nepal Olympic Association has endorsed eSports as a sporting event with events like ComCon Nepal, Hackathons, ComCOsCOn and Nepal eSports Association (NESA) Read More...

HBO data hack

George RR Martin joins group to buy historic railway

SANTA FE, NM: George RR Martin, the famed author of the “Game of Thrones” fantasy series, has joined a group to buy the historic Santa Fe Southern Railroad. Violet Crown cinema owner Bill Banowsky, National Dance Institute of New Mexico co-founder Catherine Oppenheimer and Martin recently purch Read More...

22 new cases of infection detected, COVID-19 tally in Rautahat reaches 70

RAUTAHAT: As many as 22 new cases of coronavirus infection, including three children, have been detected in Rautahat district, on Tuesday. The aforementioned cases were confirmed after the rounded in samples underwent RT-PCR at the Teku-based National Pubic Health Laboratory, according to the Dis Read More...

displaced Yemeni

Child labour, marriages on rise in Yemen as COVID spreads: UN agency

GENEVA: The UN refugee agency said on Tuesday its work in Yemen was near a “potential breaking point” as coronavirus spreads in the war-damaged country, with rising numbers of families resorting to begging, child labour and marrying of children. Around 80 percent of Yemen’s malnourished pop Read More...

VIDEO: 90 cases reported on Tuesday, Covid-19 tally soars to 772

Kathmandu, May 26 Nepal reported its highest single-day Covid-19 cases, 90, on Tuesday. READ ALSO: Health Ministry confirms 90 cases on Tuesday, Covid-19 cases jump to 772 https://youtu.be/V8926v9q6Ec Read More...