Greek bailout talks format still in limbo
Athens, July 26
Greece and rescue lenders are still working out the format of upcoming talks, the labour minister said today, confirming a delay in the negotiations for a third international bailout.
Giorgos Katrougalos told private Skai television today that pre-negotiation discussions were still ongoing.
“The way the negotiations will take place is still being discussed within the government,” Katrougalos said.
Bailout negotiators from the European Commission, European Central Bank (ECB) and International Monetary Fund had been due to start arriving in Athens last Friday to start talks for the new rescue package worth an expected 85 billion euros ($93 billion).
But late Saturday, a government official said talks at a ‘technical level’ were now set to start on Tuesday. The official asked not to be named because the negotiations were ongoing.
“At the point we have reached, we are obliged to negotiate,” he said.