Nepal | July 09, 2020

Public procurement guideline secretly amended by govt

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, June 11

After contractors threatened to halt all the construction works from next fiscal year, the government has secretly amended the Public Procurement Regulation (seventh amendment), which is in favour of corrupt contractors.

Twenty-three days after the government made the sixth amendment to the regulation, it has again amended a provision that will now allow contractors charged in corruption cases to participate in any bidding process.

The government had recently amended the guideline and included a provision that mentioned that if any contractor is found to be involved in any corruption, then the contractor would not be allowed to bid for any project.

However, the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers (OPMCM) has now relaxed this provision.

The government has also relaxed another provision that will allow contractors to continue with their project even if 50 per cent of works of a project has not been completed within the deadline.

Earlier in the sixth amendment, the government had included a provision that contracts in such situations would be automatically cancelled.

An official from the Public Procurement Monitoring Office, seeking anonymity, said that the OPMCM has transferred the secretary of the Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport to the Water and Energy Commission Secretariat under the Ministry of Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation. “The previous secretary had played a crucial role during the sixth amendment of Public Procurement Regulation and contractors had been piling immense pressure on Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli and other Cabinet ministers to transfer him and amend the regulation again,” the official added.

Moreover, the government has also relaxed the provision that if any construction and consultancy company has been established in partnership and if any member is found to be involved in any irregularity, then the company will not be allowed to participate in any future tender and if it is involved in construction of any project, then the contract for that project will also be immediately terminated.

Now, contractors and consultancy firms will be able to participate in any bidding process.

Earlier, Federation of Contractors’ Associations of Nepal (FCAN) had decided to halt all works from July 17 if the government did not amend some of the provisions included recently in Public Procurement Regulation (sixth amendment). FCAN had announced a series of protest programmes, like returning contract licence to government, wearing black armbands, among others.


A version of this article appears in print on June 12, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Making sure our four-legged friends are fed

KATHMANDU The lockdown came into effect in Nepal on March 24 to curb the spread of coronavirus confining people to their homes while schools, offices and businesses shut down. Nobody knew how the situation would unfold and for how long the lockdown would continue. At that moment Founder of Dis Read More...

China, coronavirus

Serious brain disorders in patients with mild Covid-19 symptoms, warn UK neurologists

KATHMANDU: UK neurologists have warned that serious and potentially deadly brain disorder might be triggered among patients with mild Covid-19 symptoms or recovering patients. Publishing the paper in the journal Brain on Wednesday, neurologists said that there was a rise in a life-threatening con Read More...

Rain-triggered flood cuts road section, inundates half-dozen houses in Saptari

RAJBIRAJ: Half a dozen houses have been inundated as rain-triggered flood gushed into a human settlement in Tilathi Koiladi Rural Municipality-3 of Saptari district. The flood has also destroyed paddy planted in approximately 100 bigaha of fields, it has been reported. Two thatched-roof ho Read More...

Trump administration informs United Nations of US withdrawal from WHO

KATHMANDU: Trump administration that has been critical of the World Health Organisation (WHO) over its handling of coronavirus pandemic has formally withdrawn the United States from the UN health body, on Tuesday. The United Nations confirmed that the US would leave WHO on July 6, 2021, following Read More...

China, US trade tit-for-tat visa curbs over Tibet

BEIJING/WASHINGTON:  China said on Wednesday it will impose visa restrictions on US citizens who have engaged in what it called "egregious" behaviour over Tibet, in apparent retaliation against US restrictions on Chinese officials. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday the United Sta Read More...

Serbian police say 23 held, 60 hurt in clashes

BELGRADE: Serbian police say 23 people have been detained and scores of police officers and demonstrators injured in clashes that erupted over announced return of lockdown measures against the new coronavirus. Police director Vladimir Rebic told the state RTS television that police are working to Read More...

Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 11.89 million, death toll over 543,500

At least 11,891,395 people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 543,539 have died, a Reuters tally showed. Infections have been reported in more than 210 countries and territories since the first cases were identified in China in December 2019. The Worl Read More...

West Indies must try to win inside four days: Lara

LONDON: Batting great Brian Lara has said West Indies' best chance of victory against England is to race out to an early lead and secure the win inside five days. All-rounder Jason Holder is part of the tourists' impressive bowling attack but questions remain about their batting ahead of the Read More...