33 people hospitalised after food poisoning

Kathmandu, June 30

Thirty-three people, including six children from Gajuri of Dhading district, have been admitted to Manmohan Memorial Medical College and Teaching Hospital as they were taken ill after consuming food in a rice weaning ceremony, organised in the village.

Those admitted to the hospital include a 14-month-old child. The incident took place at a feast organised for rice weaning ceremony of a local, Rajaram Mijar’s daughter, on Thursday.

Those who had consumed the food served in the ceremony complained of stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Deputy Superintendent of Police at Area Police Office, Gajuri, Khagendra Bahadur Khadka said, “People were rushed to nearby Gajuri Hospital after they complained of health complications. They had to be moved to Kathmandu yesterday night as they could not be treated at the health facility.”

“I was in the feast and had eaten roti, meat, beaten rice, vegetables and pickle at around 1:30pm. At around 3:00am I had vomiting and diarrhoea. I was rushed to Gajuri Hospital for treatment,” said Parbati Bayalkoti, 25, of the village.

“The patients have complained of loose motions and stomach pain. Some of them have been suffering from fever,” said Khem Raj Bhusal, consultant physician at the hospital.

“I suffered from diarrhoea and fever. I was admitted to Gajuri Hospital but as my health condition showed no sign of improvement, I was rushed to a Kathmandu-based hospital yesterday night,” said Hari Maya BK, 45.

“When I woke up on Friday morning, I experienced abdominal pain and had diarrhoea. I then visited the hospital in Gajuri,” said Santosh Mijar, another patient.

Upon medical investigation, the hospital in Gajuri has detected Entamoeba histolytica in the stool sample of the patients. Infected cysts were found in contaminated food and water supplies.

“This amoeba enters the human body through the faecal-oral route. There are high chances that the food items might have been prepared by using contaminated water,” according to a doctor.

“The amoeba gets into human body when people drink or consume contaminated food or water. There are chances that people might have been infected due to consumption of raw or uncooked peas,” the doctor added.

“There were at least 50 invitees at the ceremony. Almost all of them had fallen ill on consuming the food served,” said Rajaram Mijar.

Members of the host family were also hospitalised at Gajuri Hospital after the consumption of the food.

They have already been discharged from the hospital.