Nepal | July 07, 2020

Dr KC puts off fast-unto-death protest

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:
Dr. Govinda KC Photo: THT File

Dr. Govinda KC Photo: THT File

KATHMANDU, August 12

Dr Govinda KC, senior orthopaedic surgeon at the Institute of Medicine of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital (TUTH), postponed his sixth fast-unto-death, that was slated to begin from on Wednesday, after the government assured his demands would be addressed.

Dr KC said he had put off his protest programme till 4:00pm, August 24, to give the government sufficient time to work on fulfilling his six-point demand.

Last week, the veteran doctor had warned the government he would be staging a fast-unto-death for the sixth time from on Wednesday, putting forth demands related to health education sector.

He had issued a six-point charter of demands that included implementation of the report submitted by a high-level task force formed under the leadership of Kedar Bhakta Mathema, former vice-chancellor of TU to recommend a national policy on Health Profession Education (HPE).

Issuing a press statement here on Wednesday, Dr KC said that he decided to postpone the protest programme after the government sought some time to do the needful homework to address his demands.

He said that a team of government officials led by National Planning Commission (NPC) vice-chairperson Govinda Raj Pokharel and member Yagya Bahadur Karki met him and assured that the government was preparing to implement the report at the earliest.

According to the statement, they have also assured they will implement past agreements reached with him, including appointment of office bearers of universities and other bodies related to health and education on the basis of seniority, qualification and work competence.

“If the government fails to come up with a Cabinet decision on implementing the Mathema-led panel report and other demands, including appointments in various institutions by August 24, I will resume the protest from 4:00pm the same day,” reads the statement from Dr KC.

Government officials which also included Shanta Bahadur Shrestha, secretary at the Ministry of Health and Population, had urged him not to go on hunger strike, citing the unfavourable political situation, the Constituent Assembly’s preparations to deliver the new constitution, post-disaster situation, and the government decision to fulfil his demands.

The Mathema-led panel had submitted its report to Prime Minister Sushil Koirala on June 29. It was made public on the website of the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers only on August 4.

Instead of taking a Cabinet decision to implement the report, the Cabinet had assigned its Social Committee to make provisions to implement it.

Later, the Cabinet’s committee formed a sub-committee under the coordination of a member of NPC overseeing education and health with members such as secretaries of Finance Ministry, Education Ministry and MoHP to prepare the working procedure related to HPE Policy by studying, analysing and discussing with the concerned people.

The sub-committee was given 30 days’ time to prepare the working procedure on the basis of needs, feasibility and priority.


A version of this article appears in print on August 13, 2015 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Nepal Covid-19 Update: 180 new cases, 264 recoveries, one death recorded on Monday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 255,728 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method and 311,724 Rapid Diagn Read More...

coronavirus

Police can apprehend anyone without mask in public places in Nepal

KATHMANDU: Authorities will now apprehend anyone that steps out in public without a mask. The Home Ministry issued a directive on Monday according to which law enforcement authorities can nab anyone who goes out of house without a mask. Going out of house sans mask will be treated as an offense a Read More...

Hotel Soaltee refutes reports on premises being sealed, operations running says GM

KATHMANDU: Hotel Soaltee Crown Plaza Pvt Ltd has refuted media reports of the hotel being sealed after placing Nepal Airlines staff in quarantine, including the aircrew that tested positive for Covid-19. Talking to THT Online over the phone, the hotel's General Manager Upaul Majumdar said, "The Read More...

Nearly 40 suicide deaths reported amid COVID-19 lockdown in Tanahun

DAMAULI: Thirty-nine persons have died by suicide in the duration of the COVID-19 lockdown, which was imposed on March 24, in Tanahun district. According to Superintendent of Police (SP) Arun Poudel, of the 39 cases, in 35 persons died by hanging. Meanwhile, three cases of death were by intention Read More...

China's SinoVac starts late stage trials for its COVID-19 vaccine

LONDON/BEIJING: China's SinoVac is starting Phase III trials of its potential coronavirus vaccine, it said on Monday, becoming one of three companies to move into the late stages in the race to develop an inoculation against the disease. It will start recruiting volunteers this month, it said in Read More...

Protecting the Economically Vulnerable Population

Kathmandu, July 7 What started as a health crisis in the form of the COVID-19 pandemic has now unfolded into a global economic and livelihood crisis. While the ubiquitous quarantines and lockdowns may have saved many lives and provided an additional benefit of  environmental improvement, their e Read More...

Tottenham Hotspur

Keane own goal gives Spurs win over Everton

Keane own goal gives Spurs win Mourinho secures 200th Premier League win Son and Lloris have halftime bust-up LONDON: An own goal by Michael Keane proved the difference as Tottenham Hotspur beat visitors Everton 1-0 in a dour clash on Monday to move up to eighth in the standings an Read More...

Actor Depp takes on UK tabloid in court battle over 'wife beater' claims

LONDON: Johnny Depp begins legal action against a British tabloid on Tuesday in a case that is likely to delve into the private lives of the Hollywood star, his ex-wife actress Amber Heard and a number of other well-known figures. Depp, the 57-year-old star of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" f Read More...