Nepal | June 03, 2020

National park settlement relocation plan in limbo

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Kathmandu, September 14

Nine months on since the government came up with a plan to relocate human settlements in the Shivapuri-Nagarjuna National Park, the file relating to the matter is gathering dust at the Ministry of Forest and Soil Conservation.

“We had submitted preliminary report on the resettlement plan to the ministry through Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation some two months ago, but no development has taken since,” Chief Conservation Officer at SNNP Kamal Jung Kunwar told The Himalayan Times, adding, “We hope an official decision will be taken before the festive season begins.”

Kunwar said work would proceed on the project only after the ministry took a decision to relocate settlements.

Preliminary study report which was prepared by SNNP office has shown that around 700 households inside the national park area have given their consent to leave their ancient settlements demanding proper compensation.

Information Officer at the MoFSC Yajna Dahal said the ministry would soon take a decision on the matter as it had just got its minister. “As the ministry has got a minister, all the pending work will be settled very soon,” he said.

If everything goes as planned, 700 households in four villages — Mulkharka, Chilaune, Okhreni and Kune — of the national park’s core area will be relocated to Gokarneshwor Municipality-1.

Earlier in March this year, a task force headed by the national park’s chief warden had prepared a preliminary report following a field observation and discussion with the locals.

After receiving the letter from the Department of National Park and Wildlife Conservation, Shivapuri-Nagarjuna National Park had held first consultation meeting with the locals on March 7.

Locals have demanded compensation and land for building new houses.

Chairman of Sundarijal-Shivapuri Buffer Zone User Committee Narayan Shrestha said they were ready to moved from the park area if the government relocated them by fulfilling their demands.

Shivapuri-Nagarjuna National Park was established in 2002. The park is demarcated by stone and brick walls. SNNP has two islands of forests — Shivapuri and Nagarjuna.


A version of this article appears in print on September 15, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Coronavirus cases in Karnali Province jump to 252 with 54 new infections

KATHMANDU: Fifty-four additional people have tested positive for the coronavirus infection in Karnali Province, on Tuesday. As of today, five districts of the province have witnessed cases of COVID-19. With the newly confirmed infections, number of cases has reached 252 in the province. Until Read More...

Coronavirus study says low humidity aids contagion, will coming humid months help Nepal?

KATHMANDU: A recent study claims that low humidity aids coronavirus outbreak and might recur every year. The study provides evidence that lower relative humidity is associated with Covid-19 cases, under the conditions of high temperature in the southern hemisphere summer. However, it is to be tak Read More...

Fear-triggered attack on healthcare worker in Doti

DHANGADHI: A healthcare worker carrying medical supplies to a health post has been attacked amid the fear of coronavirus transmission in Doti. According to health coordinator at Shikhar Municipality-9 Harish Shah, Auxiliary Health Worker (AHW) Ramesh Kunwar, stationed at Dankot Health Post in the Read More...

Quarantine facilities in Sudurpaschim crammed as returnees from India surge

DHANGADHI: The quarantine facilities across Sudurpaschim Province have become over-crowded due to the influx of incoming Nepali migrant workers from India. As recorded at the Administration Office in Kailali, approximately 2,000 to 5,000 migrant workers have been regularly entering the provin Read More...

Sancho not booked for Floyd protest, slogans being reviewed, says DFB

BERLIN: Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho was not booked for his protest against the death of American George Floyd by a policeman but because he removed his shirt during the game, the German Football Association (DFB) clarified on Monday. Sancho removed his shirt during a goal celebrat Read More...

England's Plunkett open to idea of playing for US

LONDON: Fast bowler Liam Plunkett, who has been left out of England's summer training squad, has said he is open to the idea of playing for the United States one day. The 35-year-old, whose wife is American, has not played for England since claiming three wickets in last year's World Cup fina Read More...

18 discharged after recovering from coronavirus infection in Dharan

DHARAN: As many as eighteen persons have been discharged from Dharan-based BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) after recovering from COVID-19, on Tuesday. Following two back to back negative results, 17 men from Jhapa and one Dharan native woman were allowed to return home owing Read More...

Highlights: Nepal witnesses highest single-day spike in coronavirus cases

KATHMANDU: Nepal's Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on coronavirus contagion from across the country, and the government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 75,343 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method and 116,345 Rapid Diagn Read More...