Nepal | November 13, 2019

Temporary teachers threaten protest

Himalayan News Service

Kathmandu, September 26

Temporary teachers of community schools appointed on contract basis 15 months ago have demanded permanent status through internal examination. They have also threatened to launch nationwide educational strike after the festivals if their demand is not met.

At a press conference organised by the Temporary Teacher Struggle Committee here today,  the teachers accused the government of depriving nearly 6,000 temporary teachers of permanent status through ninth amendment to the Education act. “Provisioning internal examination only temporary teachers appointed before June 29 last year is discriminatory,” said Bharat KC, chair of the struggle committee. Community school teachers were appointed after 29 June 2016.

The government recently fulfilled the demands of temporary teachers by amending the Education Act for the ninth time. The Parliament on September 21 had passed the controversial bill, which provides for fulfilment of 60 per cent teaching posts in community schools through internal examinations and the remaining 40 per cent positions through open competition.

The amendment was criticised by both stakeholders from education sector and people from other walks of life. The Parliament had passed the bill through a fast-tracked method despite strong objection by some lawmakers of the ruling as well as opposition parties.

Expressing serious disagreement with the passage of Education (9th amendment) Bill, renowned educationist Mana Prasad Walge had resigned from the high-level National Education Commission. Another educationist Kedar Bhakta Mathema also announced that he would no longer work with the commission.

The committee also said that the provision in the ninth amendment bill to give a golden handshake even to temporary teachers who were appointed before 2016 June 29 is another discriminatory clause. “Through the provision, the government has violated the fundamental rights provided by the constitution against discrimination,” he added. He also said that the agitating teachers have put forth a three-point demand.

 


A version of this article appears in print on September 27, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories: