200 taken ill due to food poisoning
Diarrhoea, vomiting and body pain are the common problems seen in all patients
Kavre, September 8
As many as 200 persons have taken ill after eating food at a programme organised to celebrate Teej at Kanskote of Panchkhal Municipality in Kavre. They are undergoing treatment at different health facilities in the district.
Local Rural Women Self-reliance Multipurpose Cooperative had organised a cultural programme on the occasion of Teej where more than 300 women and children of Ward No 11, 12 and 13 of the municipality had eaten rice and mixed curry, among other items.
A local, Kanchan Adhikari, said that around 100 patients had been brought to Dhulikhel Hospital this afternoon. He said that some of the patients had been receiving treatment at Sudip Medical and Gautam Medical in Panchkhal while some others had been receiving treatment in Banepa-based Sheer Memorial Hospital.
Some patients are receiving treatment on the floor due to lack of beds in the hospital.
PabitraBhurtel, a share holder of the cooperative, who has also taken ill, said most of the patients were suffering from diarrhoea. She added that people had drunk water from a public well as they did not get bottled water at the programme. Bhutrel added that people might have fallen ill due to contaminated water.
“I am also suffering from vomiting and having stomach pain since the same night,” she said.
The chief guest of theTeej programme was Province 3 assembly member GomaBhurtel. She has also taken ill.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Dipak Giri at District Police Office, Kavre, said patients had been receiving treatment at different health facilities of the district while as many as 26 patients had been receiving treatment in Kathmandu-based Civil Hospital.
Dr RineshShrestha at Sheer Memorial Hospital said diarrhoea, vomiting, and body ache were the common problems seen in all the patients. “It is a case of food poisoning,” added Dr Shrestha.
He also said the details would come out only after the medical tests.