26 shops gutted in Hong Kong Bazaar

Pokhara, November 10

As many as 26 commercial shops were reduced to ashes after a fire broke out at Hong Kong Bazaar in Pokhara yesterday night.

The fire was caused by an electric short circuit at the business centre at around 10:30pm yesterday.

Milan Tiwari, a shop owner stated that property worth Rs five crore was destroyed in the blaze. He said that clothes, utensils, electric equipment and other items were completely destroyed in the blaze.

Pokhara’s Hong Kong Bazaar has as many as 400 shops that sell vegetables, fruits, clothes, cosmetics, and other products.

Police said that the Nepali Army, Armed Police Force, Nepal Police, locals, and fire fighters worked together to keep the fire under control the same night.

All shops in the Bazaar were reportedly shut down today and the local administration and political leaders inspected the damage caused by the incident.

Shop owners have demanded compensation from the government.