Abducted student fate still in dark

NEPALGUNJ: Police detained seven persons on an allegation that they were involved in the abduction of a college student 12 days ago.

Of them, four were arrested in Kathmandu while the others were held in Nepalgunj.

The seven had reportedly abducted Raju Dhital, 22, of Naubasta-8 Banke from Dhamboji area of Nepalgunj on November 24. Dhital was a Bachelor level student at Thapthali Campus in Kathmandu.

Condition of Dhital, however, is still unknown. But the abductors claimed that they already killed Dhital.

The police, who had gone with the family members of Dhital at the time of handing over ransom, had managed to detain the abductors. Although the abductors had initially asked the family to cough up Rs 2.5 million against his release, later the two sides had settled in Rs 1.2 million.

A police team under the command of inspector Sudhir Shahi was deployed to look into the abduction.

Upon its arrival in Kathmandu on December 2, the team succeeded to detain the four abductors with the assistance of Crime Investigation Department.

According to police, those held include Hemanta Shahi, Govinda KC, Durga BC, among others.

Raj Kumar Baidawar, Banke DSP, said, "We are yet to conclude whether he was killed.''

Meanwhile, Birendra Bahadur Baniya, Banke CDO, said that they had intensified investigation to unearth the actual status of Dhital. He said the incident was known late as the family did not inform them since long. "Till now, they have not lodged complaint. But the police is investigating the case on their own.''

The victim's father Dhanu expressed hope that his son would return after the arrest of the culprits. He said that his son was out of contact soon after he arrived in Nepalgunj from Kathmandu.

Family source said the abductors did not come to receive the ransom though the family reached in the place fixed by them twice. Once they were called in Bardiya while they had agreed to meet in Kathmandu later.

A police team is deployed to the forest of Bhalubang where the abductors claimed to have dumped the body.