Nepal | May 27, 2020

Agitating locals threaten to obstruct NEA project

Himalayan News Service
Share Now:

Lamjung, October 26

Locals from Udipur to Bhulbhule in Lamjung have warned Nepal Electricity Authority that they will obstruct the construction of transmission lines along the Marsyangdi Corridor.

The NEA has been working to enhance the capacity of transmission lines from 132 KV to 220 KV along the Marsyangdi corridor.

The agitating locals warned they would obstruct NEA’s work at a press meet in Beshishahar today expressing dissatisfaction over the amount of compensation received for land acquisition.

Chandra Bahadur Mishra, secretary of the Struggle Committee, said they would obstruct the capacity enhancement move of the NEA if their demands were not met.

The struggle committee has demanded public hearing among stakeholders. They also want NEA to make public the environmental impact assessment report. They demanded compensation for their houses and land that fell below the cables citing their lands and houses would not sell in the market and the financial institutes also would not accept them as collateral.

The project is scheduled to conduct public hearing at Bhulbhule of Marsyangdi Rural Municipality tomorrow.

The government of Nepal is preparing to expand the capacity of the transmission line from 132 KV to 220 KV with investment from World Bank.


A version of this article appears in print on October 27, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Budget expectations

The government is all set to announce the budget for next fiscal year on Thursday and people involved in different sectors have various expectations. Amid this, The Himalayan Times spoke to a few tourism entrepreneurs who were not satisfied with the government’s policies and programmes to learn ab Read More...

File photo of the headquarters of the World Health Organisation in Geneva

WHO warns of 'second peak' in areas where COVID-19 declining

GENEVA: Countries where coronavirus infections are declining could still face an “immediate second peak” if they let up too soon on measures to halt the outbreak, the World Health Organization said on Monday. The world is still in the middle of the first wave of the coronavirus outbreak, WHO Read More...

15 including ward chair arrested in connection with Dalit youth's killing in Rukum

JAJARKOT: Police have arrested Dambar Bahadur Malla, ward chair of Chaurjahari Municipality-8 along with fifteen others in connection with the death of three youths in Rukum West. Three more are still missing while scores were injured in the incident. One of the youths, Nawaraj BK (21) of Bheri M Read More...

Australian PM calls for economic overhaul to fuel post-coronavirus recovery

Truce between employers and workers needed: PM Australia plots economic recovery Australia records just over 7,100 cases of COVID-19 Six cases from ship recently arrived from the UAE recorded SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Tuesday called for an ideological truc Read More...

Nepal reports highest single-day spike, Covid-19 spreads to 46 districts

KATHMANDU: Health Ministry on Tuesday confirmed 90 new cases of coronavirus infection which has taken the Covid-19 case tally to 772 in the country. This is the highest single-day total recorded in Nepal, so far. The new infections were detected through tests carried out at the National Public Read More...

Prime Minister Oli calls an all-party meeting

KATHMANDU: Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has called an all-party meeting today. The meeting has been called to discuss COVID-19 situation in the country, the government's response and the way ahead. PM Oli had addressed the nation yesterday regarding the same. In addition, it has been learnt th Read More...

NHRC calls for immediate legal action in Chaurjahari incident

KATHMANDU: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has expressed its concern over the killing of Nawaraj BK, Tikaram Sunar and Ganesh Budha and the circumstances of three others missing in the incident in Soti of Rukum West. Issuing a press release on Tuesday, NHRC expressed its sadness over the Read More...

FIFA bans Haiti soccer official for sexual abuse allegations

ZURICH: The president of Haiti’s soccer federation has been suspended from the sport while under investigation for alleged sexual abuse of young women players at the national training center. FIFA said its ethics committee investigators removed Yves Jean-Bart from duty for 90 days. That interim Read More...