Attack on children during Tarai protests condemned
KATHMANDU: The Central Child Welfare Board demanded actions against those involved in attacks on children and child rights bodies during political protests in Tarai.
Expressing its concerns over the death of a 15-year-old boy Shekh Tabrejj, a 10th grader, in Gaur of Rautahat district on Sunday, the Board said it was saddened by the incident.
"Rights of children should not be violated for vested political interests," CCWB Executive Director Tarak Dhital said in a statement today, "The state agencies, protesting parties, guardians and community should be serious and alert toward protection of children."
So far, as many as six children were killed in Tarai protests, according to the CCWB.
"It is a matter of grave worry and condemnation that use of children is being increased in protests and agitations."
Meanwhile, the CCWB said cadres of the United Democratic Madhesi Front on Monday torched the Sarlahi District Child Welfare Board Office and destroyed all documents as well as physical belongings of the Board.
Condemning the incident, the CCWB said such incidents would not help protection of anyone's rights.
It demanded that the government bring those involved in these incidents to book.
Likewise, the agitating forces have been urged not to repeat such incidents.