Fake quake victims return grant amount
Kavre, March 20
Some ‘fake earthquake victims’ from Kavre district have started returning the relief amount, which was offered by the government for construction of their settlements, after complaints were filed by the actual victims of the earthquake of 2015.
So far, some of those who claimed to be victims have returned a sum of Rs 50,000 after the actual victims filed complaints, both in written and oral forms, against the former with the National Reconstruction Authority District Coordination Committee.
One of the claimants, Parshu Ram Sedain of Panchkhal Municipality, was the first person to return the money to the government. According to the Reconstruction Authority Sub-regional Office, another person, Dhulikhel Sedain, returned the first instalment amount yesterday.
Dhruba Gainda, Chief of the Sub-regional office, said that the real victims had filed complaints against more than 1,000 fake victims across the district. “Over 100 complaints have been filed in the office at Panchkhal Municipality. The fake victims are in a dilemma regarding where to return the amount,” Gainda said, adding that the office will claim the money back from fake victims if they ignore the notice.
The authority had issued a notice to return the amount on January 29.
According to Urban Development and Department of Building Division, Kavre, over 814 quake victims, who lost their houses in the devastating earthquake, constructed houses themselves. As many as 48,670 households received the amount as first installment for the construction of houses.