Nepal | June 06, 2020

Foreign climbers stranded on Mt Manaslu

Rajan Pokhrel
Share Now:

Tents set up at base camp as the world climbers prepare to scale Mt Manaslu this autumn. Photo courtesy: Arnold Coster

Kathmandu, September 10

Hundreds of foreign climbers and their support staffers have been stranded on the world’s eighth highest peak in western Nepal after expedition handling agencies failed to supply necessary logistics, including foodstuff to the Mt Manaslu region.

Expedition handling agencies said they failed to charter helicopters to ferry climbing logistics to the mountain region while helicopter operators blamed the government for the prolonged crisis.

Mingma Sherpa, managing director at Seven Summit Treks, said expedition operators couldn’t manage chartered flights to the Manaslu region due to unavailability of helicopters. Over 100 climbers and support staffers from his company have been stranded due to lack of food and other logistics in Mt Manaslu region, he informed.

“The crisis further worsened after the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation barred three operators – Heli Everest, Manang Air and Air Dynasty – from flying to restricted areas, including Mt Manaslu region, while other helicopter operators have had to wait for over a week to get permission from different agencies to provide the services,” Sherpa, who is also a board director at Heli Everest, added. “We have been wearing the same clothes for over a week now,” an American climber, who talked over phone from Samagaun, said. His climbing guide Nawal Gyaljen Sherpa said that most expedition teams had already run out of food and other stuff. Lack of food and clothes has hit a group of Chinese climbers hard in Samagaun and the base camp, Nima Namgyal Sherpa, managing director at Kaitu Expedition Pvt Ltd said. Besides a lengthy process for getting flight permission in Kathmandu, operators often find a very short weather window to conduct flights in the mountain region, he added.

Helicopters are the only means of transport for ferrying climbing logistics to Samagaun as well as the Manaslu base camp from Kathmandu and Arughat in Gorkha. “It’s a horrible experience on Mt Manaslu this time,” an expedition leader who has already reached base camp said. If such a situation persists for long, it would have detrimental effects on the country’s plan to welcome two million tourists by 2020, he said.

Pasang Sherpa, managing director at Pioneer Adventure Pvt Ltd, said his company couldn’t supply food to the climbers due to lack of helicopters. “Our team has already reached the base camp but their climbing logistics and foodstuff have been stuck at Arughat for over a week,” he said, adding that vegetables worth millions of rupees had already rotten.

When contacted, MoCTCA secretary Krishna Devkota refused to comment. A senior official at the ministry, however, claimed that three helicopter companies were barred from flying to the restricted zones on the secretary’s verbal order. “The ministry is working to resolve the crisis as soon as possible,” he added.

According to the Department of Tourism, more than 250 foreign climbers, along with over 500 support staffers have headed to the Manaslu region to attempt to climb the mountain this autumn.


A version of this article appears in print on September 11, 2018 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Nepal bandh in Kathmandu

Repair of Kathmandu Valley's roads almost complete amidst lockdown

KATHMANDU: Repair works of roads in the Kathmandu Valley have been almost complete. The road maintenance started from mid April amidst the nationwide lockdown. Out of the target of repairing 41 kilometres in the fiscal year of 2019/20, overlaying of more than 40 kilometres has been carried out, t Read More...

Govt issues new guidelines for COVID testing

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 The Ministry of Health and Population has come up with new guidelines for coronavirus testing, setting priority for testing swab samples using polymerase chain reaction method. The health ministry, in its National Testing Guidelines for COVID-19, has stated that all the suspe Read More...

Health ministry pitches for declaring health emergency

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 Officials at the Ministry of Health and Population say that declaring public health emergency will help the government deal with the COVID-19 crisis more effectively. Khem Bahadur Karki, health adviser to Minister of Health and Population, told THT that declaring public healt Read More...

194 stranded Nepalis arrive home from UAE, Myanmar

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 As many as 194 Nepalis from the United Arab Emirates and Myanmar arrived home today on flights operated by the governments of the respective countries. While a Myanmar Air Force aircraft carrying 26 Nepalis landed at Tribhuvan International Airport at 11:00am, another aircraf Read More...

KMC

KMC set to launch ‘Cash for Work’ scheme

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 Kathmandu Metropolitan City has issued a procedure to guarantee a source of livelihood to the daily wagers, who have been rendered jobless for more than two months as economic activities have been completely halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent nationwide lockdown. Read More...

Supreme Court of Nepal

SC orders release of illegally-detained man

KATHMANDU, JUNE 5 The Supreme Court today rebuked District Administration Office, Siraha, and others for unlawfully detaining Chakra Bahadur Khatri, a resident of Khotang district, for more than a year. The court asked the National Human Rights Commission to secure the release of the man and w Read More...

Trump orders big US troop cut in Germany, official says

BANGOR, MAINE: US President Donald Trump has ordered the military to remove 9,500 troops from Germany, a senior US official said on Friday, a move likely to raise concerns in Europe about the US commitment to the continent. The move would reduce US troops numbers in Germany to 25,000, from the 3 Read More...

15 yrs on, Bandarmudhe blast victims still await justice

CHITWAN, JUNE 5 Fifteen years have passed since the infamous Bandarmudhe bomb blast, but the victims of the incident are still awaiting justice. The bomb blast carried out by the then rebelling CPN Maoist on a passenger bus at Madi of southern Chitwan had taken the lives of 38 people, leaving Read More...