Khotang, April 18
A fire broke out at a cotton industry in Khotang’s Diktel today. Devisthan Cotton Industry belonging to Rajan Khadka caught fire due to an electric short circuit.
Police estimated that property worth Rs 2.3 million was destroyed after the blaze gutted the industry house, a machine, cotton, gas cylinders and four mobile sets.
Khadka had established the industry a month ago.
Khotang DSP Navin Kishor Pradhan said different items including quilt, mattresses, pillows, and cotton were gutted.
Personnel from Nepali Army, Police and APF brought the fire under control in a few hours.
It is learnt that the industry caught fire when worker Yubaraj Karki tried to start a machine. Karki, who lost consciousness, was sent to district Hospital Khotang for treatment.
A version of this article appears in print on April 19, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.