Nepal | May 27, 2020

Lack of policies hits operation of electric vehicles

Umesh Poudel
Share Now:
electric bus, electric vehicles

Illustration: Ratna Sagar Shrestha/ THT

Kathmandu, May 6

Lack of proper government policies and laws has put operators of public electric vehicles in a jam.

Bhesh Bahadur Thapa, chairman of Sundar Yatayat Pvt Ltd, said his company had bought two 40-seater electric buses and placed the order for seven more. “If the government gave its goahead today, we could operate air-conditioned buses within the Ring Road of Kathmandu valley in 15 days,” he claimed, adding, “However, the vehicles are gathering dust because the related laws are yet to be formulated.”

Earlier, the government had announced that 300 electric buses would be brought into operation in major cities across the country. Promotion of electric vehicles was part of the government’s 2018-19 policies and programmes and also featured in the policies and programmes for the next fiscal year.

While making the announcement, the government had stated that introduction of electric vehicles as public transport would revolutionise the sector and minimise air pollution.

Government officials attributed the delay in formulating policies to ‘lack of expertise’. “Because operating public electric vehicles is a new thing, we need to do more extensive homework to come up with comprehensive policies,” said Shiva Hari Sapkota, spokesperson for the Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport.

However, at the same time, private operators fear for their investment.

“We have already paid Rs 15 million each for the electric buses and Rs 25 million for seven charging stations,” said Thapa, adding installation of the Euro standard charging stations has also been stalled because there is no clear policy.

He further accused the government of dragging its feet in finalising the rate of electricity per unit for electric vehicles and the fare of public vehicles. “Lofty talks are never translated into action here.”

Meanwhile, Nepal Electricity Authority, which is responsible for fixing power tariff, and the Department of Transport Management, which is responsible for fixing transport fare, have already forwarded their proposals to the ministries concerned.

According to Prabin Aryal, joint secretary at the Ministry of Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation, the ministry has already formed a committee to finalise electricity tariff. “The committee is also looking into security, monitoring and regulation, which is causing the delay.”

MoPIT Spokesperson Sapkota, on the other hand, admitted that the ministry had not done much to act on the proposal. An official of the ministry, seeking anonymity, said the delay could be attributed to lack of interest by the minister.

Thapa said since the government had not yet formulated the required policies, the company was forced to pay 35 per cent customs duty on the electric vehicles, whereas the government had earlier said that public electric vehicles could be imported at one per cent customs duty.


A version of this article appears in print on May 07, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Budget expectations

The government is all set to announce the budget for next fiscal year on Thursday and people involved in different sectors have various expectations. Amid this, The Himalayan Times spoke to a few tourism entrepreneurs who were not satisfied with the government’s policies and programmes to learn ab Read More...

File photo of the headquarters of the World Health Organisation in Geneva

WHO warns of 'second peak' in areas where COVID-19 declining

GENEVA: Countries where coronavirus infections are declining could still face an “immediate second peak” if they let up too soon on measures to halt the outbreak, the World Health Organization said on Monday. The world is still in the middle of the first wave of the coronavirus outbreak, WHO Read More...

15 including ward chair arrested in connection with Dalit youth's killing in Rukum

JAJARKOT: Police have arrested Dambar Bahadur Malla, ward chair of Chaurjahari Municipality-8 along with fifteen others in connection with the death of three youths in Rukum West. Three more are still missing while scores were injured in the incident. One of the youths, Nawaraj BK (21) of Bheri M Read More...

Australian PM calls for economic overhaul to fuel post-coronavirus recovery

Truce between employers and workers needed: PM Australia plots economic recovery Australia records just over 7,100 cases of COVID-19 Six cases from ship recently arrived from the UAE recorded SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Tuesday called for an ideological truc Read More...

Nepal reports highest single-day spike, Covid-19 spreads to 46 districts

KATHMANDU: Health Ministry on Tuesday confirmed 90 new cases of coronavirus infection which has taken the Covid-19 case tally to 772 in the country. This is the highest single-day total recorded in Nepal, so far. The new infections were detected through tests carried out at the National Public Read More...

Prime Minister Oli calls an all-party meeting

KATHMANDU: Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has called an all-party meeting today. The meeting has been called to discuss COVID-19 situation in the country, the government's response and the way ahead. PM Oli had addressed the nation yesterday regarding the same. In addition, it has been learnt th Read More...

NHRC calls for immediate legal action in Chaurjahari incident

KATHMANDU: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has expressed its concern over the killing of Nawaraj BK, Tikaram Sunar and Ganesh Budha and the circumstances of three others missing in the incident in Soti of Rukum West. Issuing a press release on Tuesday, NHRC expressed its sadness over the Read More...

FIFA bans Haiti soccer official for sexual abuse allegations

ZURICH: The president of Haiti’s soccer federation has been suspended from the sport while under investigation for alleged sexual abuse of young women players at the national training center. FIFA said its ethics committee investigators removed Yves Jean-Bart from duty for 90 days. That interim Read More...