KATHMANDU: The Unified CPN-Maoist has threatened to retaliate if the government fails to check attacks on revolutionaries.
“The government should be held responsible for any untoward situation created due to our action,” said a statement issued by Maoist spokesperson Dinanath Sharma. He has expressed doubt if the Home Ministry will arrest culprits and curb such activities.
“Lack of action against murderers and assailants has created a suspicion that the Home Minister is protecting criminals,” stated Sharma.
An unidentified armed group shot dead Rajesh Mandal, 32, member of the Maoists’ Bhojpura State Committee (BSC), in Bara’s Nitanpur Chowk last evening. The Maoist spokesperson said the continued murder of his party leaders and cadres, at a time when a movement for national independence had been launched, could not merely be a coincidence.
“No doubt, the attacks were carried out by bigger power centres through counter-revolutionary groups prepared by them,” he claimed.
Right after the party announced the fourth phase of movement for national independence, three Maoist leaders were killed by an unidentified gang on January 6, including BSC member Ram Prakash Yadav.
Maoist cadres murdered earlier include Birendra Mallika Dom
of Dhanusha, Govinda Chaudhary and Dasharath Thakur
of Saptari, Laxman Raya Yadav, Radhe Mohan Jaiswal and Ram Prabesh Sah of Rautahat,
Bhavanath Pudasaini, Prakash Subedi, Kiran Yadav, Lila
Prasad Lamichhane, Jokhan Mansur and Munna Jaiswal of Bara and Sugiya Devi Mahara of Mahottari.