Mewakhola hydro in final stage
Khotang, January 15
The under-construction Mewakhola Hydro Power Project is all set to come into operation between February and April in Khotang.
The construction work of the 1 MW hydel has reached its final stage and will come into operation within three months.
According to project Chief Lalit Kumar Rai, construction of water channel, dam, power house, installation of hume pipes and wiring, among others, have reached the final phase.
Installation of electric poles has started for supplying power through the central transmission line at Buipa sub-station.
Sanima Bank and Bank of Kathmandu have jointly invested 70 per cent whereas consumers invested the remaining 30 per cent of the project’s total investment, said Managing Director Arjun Rai.
“Once the project starts operating, local consumers shall no longer struggle with crippling hours of load shedding. Local folks can also use the energy for other development projects, including industries,” he said.
Construction of the project started three years ago.
The district folks are elated as the project is nearing completion.
Construction of the hydro project was intensified after the 18th district council meeting declared it would make the district load shedding free.
Around 11,000 households of 38 VDCs have been using the power transmitted through the central transmission line in the district.