Nepal | May 27, 2019

No grant for 1,000 quake victim families

Himalayan News Service

Hetauda, January 2

Around 1000 earthquake victim families have yet to receive the first instalment of housing grant in Makawanpur district.

According to data with the National Reconstruction Authority, of the 26,618 families who had signed contract for reconstruction of their homes, 25,797 have received the first instalment of the grant.

While 18,318 families have received the second instalment, 853 families have received even the third instalment.

As per official data, there are a total of 33,266 beneficiaries of the housing grant in the district. Though the number stood at 31,817 in the past, other families were added to the list lately.

Some 40,000 houses in the district are said to have been completely destroyed in the quake. The number of houses that received minor damage stands at 11,600.

“As for the homes requiring retrofitting, some 4,434 of the total 11,635 homes have signed contract so far. Of them 4,200 families have got the first instalment for retrofitting,” said NRA District Unit Private Residence Chief Somraj Timalsina.

Of the total 1,900 school classrooms damaged by the quake, 1,300 have been constructed so far.

 


A version of this article appears in print on January 03, 2019 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories: