CHAUTARA, SINDHUPALCHOK: A man died in a fire that broke out in his house at Swara village of Sunkoshi Rural Municipality-7 in Sindhupalchok district on Tuesday night.

The deceased has been identified as a local resident, Resham Sarki.

According to Superintendent of Police Mohan Prasad Pokharel at the District Police Office, the incident occurred while Sarki was sleeping alone in a hut constructed by a voluntary organisation in the aftermath of April 25 earthquake.

Preliminary investigation shows that the fire sparked from a cigarette butt he had thrown, said police.

Further investigation into the case is underway.