NUWAKOT: A person died and 52 others have been hospitalised after attending a birthday party at Kahu VDC of Nuwakot on Thursday.

The deceased has been identified as Megh Bahadur Tamang (38) of Kahu VDC-8.

Police has suspected food poising to be the cause behind the mass illness of the people who attended the feast in the village on Tuesday. Out of the sick people, 22 are serious.

The villagers who joined the birthday party suffered from vomiting, diarrhoea, joint and muscle pain. This problem is taking an epidemic turn as even the people who did not attend the party have started falling sick with similar symptoms, according to a local, Chhatra Lama.

Of the ill, 41 are undergoing treatment at the Nuwakot District Hospital, Trishuli and 11 have been admitted to the Bidur-based City Hospital. People of Wards 1, 2 and 6 have also started showing the similar symptoms.

District Hospital's emergency ward in-charge Bhuwan Raj KC also suspected that people might have been affected from food poisoning as they all show common symptoms of headache, vomiting, diarrhoea and so on.

One Surya Bahadur Tamang of Kahu VDC-8 guessed that consumption of contaminated water must have been the reason behind the mass illness as the people of Wards 6 and 8 also use the common stream.

Tamang, including his two children and spouse, is under medical treatment at the District Hospital Trishuli.

The locals use the stream as a safe source of drinking water in the villages dried up after the earthquake.