Poison claims two lives

SARLAHI: Two children died and four fell sick after consuming pesticide meant for killing flies in Karmaiya village development committee in Sarlahi district on Thursday.

The incident occurred when the children consumed the poisonous substance that was hanging on the wall of the house belonging to Gyan Bahadur Moktan in Karmaiya-2, Inspector Bishnu Prasad Parajuli at Hariwan Area Police Office said.

Nirmaya Pahari, 4, and Pramila Moktan, 9, were killed after consuming the pesticide, police said, adding that Pahari and Moktan died while undergoing treatment in Hariwan-based Namuna Hospital and Birgunj-based Narayani sub-Regional Hospital, respectively. Puja Pahari, 5, Sita Moktan, 7, Dipesh Theeng, 5, and Niraj Pahari, 6, who had also consumed the pesticide are undergoing treatment in hospitals, police said.

“We had consumed the substance before we went to the river for swimming. It tasted sweet, however, we fell unconscious instantly after taking the substance,” said Niraj Pahari, one of the victims. Meanwhile, families of the deceased children have demanded action against the house owner.