Police constable's wife striving for justice

RAUTHAT: A police constable's abandoned wife, who was mentally and physically tortured by her husband has returned to Kathmandu after the Rauthat District Police Office failed to provide justice to her.

The victim, 27-year-old Jyoti Thapa Magar, mother of a five-year-old son, had filed a case against her husband Rajesh Kumar Yadav a constable at the Nepal Police.

A native of Makwanpur district, Thapa had tied knot with Yadav of Rautahat, in a Hindu ritual at the Women and Children Cell in Kalimati Police Sector on October 23, 2012.

"He abandoned me five months after our marriage. Later, I discovered that he was transferred to Sarlahi district and I followed him there. However, he declined to recognise me, let alone accepting me as his wife."

"After filing a complaint at the Police Headquarters and Home Affairs, my husband called me to Sarlahi where we lived together for a while and gave birth to our son Aryan who is five years old now", Thapa shared.

She further added, "Although we registered our marriage and son's birth there, my husband repeatedly kept torturing me, physically and mentally."

"After failing to bear his relentless torture, I went to his house at Hatihayi but my mother-in-law and father-in-law refused to accept me as their daughter-in-law, as he was already married to another woman."

Thapa shared that she kept trying to persuade Yadav but to no avail.

"He demanded Rs 7,00,000 from me for his sister's marriage if I were to be accepted.  After numerous attempts to get justice and gaving been disappointed, I ultimately decided to return to Kathmandu," Thapa lamented.

"I refiled a complaint against him at the Police Headquarters; they referred the case to the Rautahat District Police Office stating that the DPO has the authority to take action against him. With an original application, I was sent to Garuda at the Women and Children Cell in Rautahat district for discussion with my husband but the meeting failed to yield any result."

According to Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Mahendra Prasad Marasani at the DPO, both of them have been sent to Women and Children Cell at Garuda in the district for further discussion.

Meanwhile, Jyoti has returned to Kathmandu after hopes of getting justice evaporated in Rauthat. "I have rented a room at Ranjana Trade House in New Road and sell tea to make a living for my five-year-old son and myself," Thapa shared her plight.

"Despite being a police's wife I am struggling to get justice. I appeal all the concerned authorities to provide me justice so that I could lead a decent life."