Reconstruction of damaged Kavre schools left in limbo
Kavre, September 7
Reconstruction of schools destroyed by the deadly earthquake of April 25 last year has yet to begin.
According to Kavre DEO, more than two dozen non-governmental organisations had received permission to rebuild the destroyed schools six months ago. “The non-governmental organisations, however, for some unknown reasons have not started the reconstruction work”, said a source at DEO.
Section Officer Bal Krishna Simkhada at DEO said that his office was preparing to investigate why the organisations had not started reconstruction work long after they were granted permission. He said that DEO would report to the Department of Education and National Reconstruction Authority about the said organisations.
Meanwhile, Asian Development Bank has issued a tender to construct Jay Saraswoti Primary School of Jyamdi, Kalidevi Primary School of Simthali and Kali Devi Primary School of Mahadevsthan.
Simkhada said that SOS Children’s Village had backed down from its earlier pledge to construct Sanjivini Higher Secondary School at Dhulikhel. Therefore, DEO had requested the ADB to reconstruct Sanjivini School.
DEO Kavre has recommended ADB to reconstruct as many as 19 schools. “No school has been reconstructed so far. Classes are being held inside temporary shelters,” Simkhada added.