SC to pronounce final verdict on IG appointment Tuesday

KATHMANDU: The Supreme Court said it would pronounce the final verdict over the writs filed against the appointment of Jaya Bahadur Chand as the Inspector General of Nepal Police on Tuesday.

A full bench of Chief Justice Sushila KC and justices Hari Krishna Karki, Ishwar Prasad Khatiwada, Ananda Mohan Bhattarai and Anil Kumar Sinha completed the final hearing over the writs filed by advocate Kapil Dev Dhakal and DIG Nawa Raj Silwal on Sunday and Monday.

While the lawyers representing the petitioner duo had argued yesterday, the government attorneys defended the February 12 Cabinet decision before the full bench today.

Attorney General Raman Kumar Shrestha, however, was absent in the session today.

Likewise, lawyers for another defendant DIG Chand also did not take part in the hearing today.

They objected to the Chief Justice’s decision regarding formation of the bench.

They viewed that any justice involved in issuing an order on the same case should not have been repeated in the full bench as well. Justice Hari Krishna Karki was a part of the two-member division bench, which on March 1 had ordered that two previous stay orders issued on the case should continue till the final verdict.

A division bench of Justice duo Ishwar Prasad Khatiwada and Tej Bahadur KC had passed the case to the full bench considering the seriousness of the issue on Thursday.

The government on February 12 had appointed Chand to the post of Nepal Police Chief.

The Court, however, had stayed the decision after it was moved against the appointment claiming the decision violated the tradition of seniority.

Advocate Kapil Dev Dhakal had filed the case.

The next day, the Court had again barred Chand from assuming office in response to another writ filed by his batchmate DIG Nawa Raj Silwal.

Silwal had claimed that he was the most senior among four DIGs eligible for the top post and therefore, he should have been appointed.

Hearing on both the writs had begun on February 22.

Concluding rounds of the hearing, the Court on March 1 had ordered that the stay orders issued earlier would continue till the final verdict.