UNHCHR probing Madi bus blast
Himalayan News Service
Chitwan, June 9:
The United Nations High Commission for Human Rights (UNHCHR) said today that the commission was investigating the Monday’s bus explosion at Bandarmudhe, Madi, in which 39 passengers were killed, in accordance with international human rights laws. After returning from a field visit, the UNHCHR team leader, John Medina, talked about the incident at an interaction organised in Narayangarh today. “We are not only getting information about the accident but have urged the Maoists not to repeat such a cruel act again,” he said. The three-member team includes Mark Tone and Kristina Habbard. The commission’s central office had already issued a report and will issue a detailed one only after their study completes. “We will stay here for four days and will generate awareness among government officials and army personnel about humanitarian international laws. The National Human Rights Commission member, Sudip Pathak, said that the government and the Maoists must answer the questions put to them by the commission.
He further insisted that the Maoists provide the names of the cadres involved in the incident to the commission and also state what steps the party has taken against them. He warned the Maoists not to violate the international laws. The interaction was organised by Human Rights Organisation of Nepal (HURON), Chitwan branch, under the chairmanship of Dr Bhimraj
Adhikari. During the programme, representatives of various organisations had provided information about the incident. Ali Salim, the adviser of National Human Rights Commission, was also present. Meanwhile, regional administrator of the mid region, Rabindra Chakrabarti
today provided financial assistance worth Rs 100,000 to the people injured in the bus blast for their treatment. Administrator Chakrabarti handed over the cash to the chief district officer, Narendra Raj Poudyal.