Yet another strikes bring health services at BPKIHS to a halt

SUNSARI: Medical services at the BP Koriala Institute of Health Science came to a standstill today, following a protest by health workers.

The protest ensued Tuesday night after the kin of the patients admitted for treatment manhandled the health workers alleging that the latter neglected their patients. The strike has affected hundreds of patients, depriving them of health services.

Dharan-based Nepal Doctors' Association informed that they were in protest after the kin of Dilmaya Tamang, a patient, manhandled physicians Kumud Limbu and Mohammad Farif Amathullaha in emergency ward yesterday night, alleging that the doctors neglected their patient.

Tamang's relatives had manhandled the physician duo accusing them that they did not heed to their patients. The infuriated doctors closed down the services immediately in protest and started agitation since today morning.

With the exception of the emergency ward and the in-patient department (IPD), the staffers have halted all other services. The OPD, which caters services to about 3,000 patients on daily basis, has also been affected, albeit partially.

The physicians have demanded among other things, stern action against the culprit and security of the health workers. The agitating doctors have warned that they would not return to the work unless the administration guarantees their security.

BPKIHS has been witnessed to a chronic incident of strikes and manhandling of physicians in recent times.

Earlier too, the doctors had halted services in the hospital after the relatives of a patient manhandled them. Physicians had tendered their resignation en-mass, protesting the incident.

Meanwhile, issuing statements, different health workers and unions have condemned the manhandling of doctors on duty. They have alleged that the health workers have been frequently harassed by the relatives of the patients.

Health staffers, meanwhile, said they feel insecure to perform their duty. Issuing a press release, director of the hospital Prof.Dr. Balabhadra Prasad Das sai“, "I was shocked by the incident when I heard about ”t."

He, however, assured that the problems would be resolved and the hospital services would be available soon.