Akhtar criticises management, courts PCB trouble
LAHORE: Controversial Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar ran into trouble today again as cricket authorities accused him of violating his contract by criticising team management during a TV interview.
The 33-year-old paceman blamed his withdrawal from the World Twenty20 team on team managers, saying he considered taking a legal action against them after a confidential medical
report was leaked. The paceman
was found to be suffering from “genital warts” a week before the team’s departure for last month’s World Twenty20 in England and was withdrawn from the team, which won the event by beating Sri Lanka in the final.
“Akhtar has been served with a show cause notice as he violated the code of conduct,” director of operations at the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Zakir Khan, said. Khan said that under Akhtar’s contract with the PCB, he was not allowed to give interviews or publicly criticise management. Akhtar confirmed that he had received the notice and said he would reply before a July 31 deadline, after consulting his lawyers. Akhtar is also fighting a legal case in the high court in Lahore.