Nepal | January 23, 2021

Australia board apologises after India players complain of racist abuse

Reuters
Share Now:

SYDNEY: Cricket Australia apologised to the India team on Sunday and launched a probe into allegations visiting players were subjected to racial abuse by part of the crowd during the third test at Sydney Cricket Ground.

The Indian team lodged an official complaint after play on Saturday after bowlers Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj complained of hearing racist slurs while fielding near the boundary rope.

On Sunday, Siraj approached the umpire pointing towards the stands and the action was paused as police ejected six fans from the ground.

CA launched a parallel investigation with New South Wales Police, promising to take the “strongest measures” against anyone found guilty of vilification.

“It is most regrettable that an otherwise excellent test match contested in tremendous spirit by two friendly rivals has been tarnished by the actions of a small number of spectators over the past two days,” Head of Integrity and Security Sean Carroll said in a statement.

“As hosts, we once again apologise to the Indian team.”

Venues New South Wales, which operates the stadium, said CCTV footage was being reviewed to assist the investigation and any fans identified as engaging in racial abuse would be banned from the SCG and other major stadiums in Sydney.

Australia coach Justin Langer joined the condemnation.

“It’s upsetting and it’s disappointing,” he said. “It’s one of my greatest pet hates in life that people think they can come to a sporting event and abuse or say whatever they like.

“I hated it as a player and I hate it as a coach. It’s really sad to see it happen in Australia.”

India’s Ravichandran Ashwin said the team had been insulted by Sydney spectators in the past but the racial abuse had crossed a line during the ongoing match, which is being played in front of a reduced crowd of less than 10,000.

“It is definitely not acceptable in this day and age. This must definitely be dealt with iron-fist and we must make sure it doesn’t happen again,” the bowler said.

The International Cricket Council said the Indian team had informed match referee David Boon of the alleged racial abuse on Saturday and the governing body was “incredibly disappointed” with the incidents at the SCG.

Under the ICC’s anti-discrimination policy, it falls to CA to investigate the incident and submit a report to the Dubai-headquartered body within two weeks.

“We will provide Cricket Australia and the relevant authorities with our full support in any ensuing investigation as we will not tolerate any racism in our sport,” ICC Chief Executive Manu Sawhney said in a statement.

A man was banned from attending cricket matches in New Zealand for two years after being found guilty of abusing England fast bowler Jofra Archer during a 2019 tour.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

United Nations urged to tell Nepal government to protect civic freedom

Physical attacks on journalists, rights activists continue to undermine civic space KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 CIVICUS, the World Alliance for Citizen Participation, has called on UN member states to urge the Government of Nepal to double its efforts to protect civic freedom as its human rights recor Read More...

Ministry of Labour and Employment

Door opens for employment of Nepali youths in Israel

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 Implementation Protocol was signed between Nepal and Israel today for implementation of the agreement related to temporary employment of Nepali workers in the labour market of Israel. At a programme held at the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Security today, Dir Read More...

Youth association close to Oli shows support for government

RAJBIRAJ, JANUARY 21 At a time when protest against the controversial dissolution of the Parliament by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli is spreading across the country, the ruling party’s sister wing National Youth Association Nepal organised a demonstration in support of the prime minister in Sapt Read More...

Basnet selected coordinator of Press Organisation

KATHMANDU, JANUARY 21 The second national gathering of Press Organisation Nepal unanimously elected joint-coordinator Ganesh Basnet as the coordinator. Basnet replaces coordinator Mahesh Dahal, who was removed on the ground of lack of activity in carrying out organisational responsibilitie Read More...

NC demonstrates in Rautahat

RAUTAHAT, JANUARY 21 Nepali Congress staged demonstrations across Rautahat district today in protest against what they described as an attack on the nation’s constitution by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli’s unconstitutional and regressive move. Rallies were organised in all 18 local leve Read More...

PCR report not needed for ABC trek as virus cases slow

POKHARA, JANUARY 21 Trekkers heading to Annapurna Base Camp through various routes to the camp do not require negative PCR reports. Trekking routes were resumed on January 14 amid the infection risk after making it mandatory for trekkers to show PCR reports. A meeting of the Chhomrong T Read More...

Poor leadership to blame for surge in crime: Odd

DHANGADI, JANUARY 21 Nepali Congress Dhangadi Municipal Committee President Nripa Bahadur Odd said that crime had increased after communists offered garlands to criminal-minded people. Addressing a protest assembly in Dhangadi today, Odd said communists had protected rapists, thieves, murderer Read More...

EDITORIAL: Vaccines arrive

We need to procure more vaccines using our own resources, either at the G2G level or directly from vaccine-producing firm(s) India-gifted one million doses of COVID vaccines, developed by Oxford University/AstraZeneca and manufactured by Pune-based Serum Institute of India, arrived in Nepal on a sp Read More...