Players hospitalised

SYDNEY: Two players in Australia’s National Rugby League were hospitalised early Tuesday following an overdose of pain-killing medication.

The players, Aaron Gray and Dylan Walker, had taken too many of the painkillers they were prescribed after undergoing operations last week following the end of their season, said John Lee, chief executive of their club, the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

He said there was no evidence of illegal drug use by either player. Both Gray and Walker, who were watching movies at Gray’s home at the time of the incident, were in stable condition at Sydney’s St. Vincent’s Hospital.

“I’ve seen both the players upstairs (at the hospital) and they’re pretty knocked around (and) at this stage they’re not in a state where they can communicate,” Lee said. “Their vital signs are very clearly on the up,” Lee said.