Gunners defeat Celtic

LONDON: A fluke goal by William Gallas and an own goal by Gary Caldwell gave Arsenal a 2-0 victory at Glasgow Celtic in the first leg of the final qualifying round for the European Champions League on Tuesday.

Cesc Fabregas’ 30-yard free kick in the 43rd minute deflected off Gallas’ backside and into the net at Celtic Park, and Caldwell accidentally redirected a cross from Arsenal defender Gael Clichy past his own goalkeeper in the 71st minute.

“Despite having control of the game we scored two lucky goals,” said Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. “But we had plenty of opportunities.”

The teams meet again at Arsenal next week in the second leg. “Until the first goal I thought we had done extremely well to deny Arsenal opportunities,” said Celtic manager Tony Mowbray. “Maybe if we score first at Arsenal it could make them a bit nervous so let’s wait and see.”

In Tuesday’s other matches, Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina played a 2-2 stalemate, Stuttgart won 2-0 against Timisoara, Olympiakos won 2-0 at

Sheriff and Copenhagen

beat APOEL 1-0.

Although Juan Manuel

Vargas gave Fiorentina a sixth-minute lead, goals by Simon Vukcevic and Miguel Veloso put Sporting ahead. Alberto Gilardino made it 2-2 in the 79th.

Timo Gebhart converted a 27th-minute penalty kick for Stuttgart in Romania, and Alex Hleb added the second goal.

Goals by Brazilian midfielder Dudu and Konstantinos Mitroglou gave Olympiakos

a great chance to reach

the group stage after an

easy victory in Moldova.

Zdenek Pospech headed home a spectacular goal

following a cross from Oscar Wendt for FC Copenhagen against APOEL of Cyprus.


LONDON: Chelsea hit back to win 3-1 at Sunderland and promoted Wolves captured a 1-0 victory at Wigan in the English Premier League on Tuesday.

Darren Bent fired Sunderland into an 18th-minute lead at the Stadium of Light only for Michael Ballack to level in the 52nd, Frank Lampard to drive home a penalty, and Deco to add the third in the 70th. The victory for Carlo Ancelotti’s side gave the Blues maximum points from their first two games after Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Hull at Stamford Bridge.

Wolves’ victory at Wigan was a major surprise after the home side’s 2-0 victory at Aston

Villa on Saturday. Andy Keogh headed the only goal of the game after six minutes and Wolves went on to record their first away goal in Premier League football after failing to win on the road the last time they were promoted in 2003.