Jones questions Lee’s selection
ABHU DHABI: Former Australian batsman Dean Jones on Friday questioned Brett Lee’s selection for the Ashes, saying he did not deserve a place in team’s fast establishing pace attack. The 32-year-old Lee, who joined the squad here on Tuesday, will have his progress towards full fitness assessed by the team management. Australia will announce their squad for Ashes, to be played in England from July 8, in three weeks.
Jones said Lee was in trouble in forcing his way back. “I ask you now: if you had a fully fit Lee, would you pick him among your best four quicks for the Ashes?,” Jones wrote in his column in the The Age. “He knows he is in serious trouble. He knows his replacements have done a better job than he hoped in his absence,” said Jones of the Australian pace attack led by Mitchell Johnson in Lee’s absence since the Boxing Day Test last year.