Man United back on track

LONDON: Manchester United made amends for their humbling by Burnley as Wayne Rooney's double and Michael Owen's first goal for the Premier League champions inspired a 5-0 win at Wigan today.

Sir Alex Ferguson reacted to Wednesday's shock 1-0 loss at newly-promoted Burnley by making seven changes and the United manager was rewarded with a superb second half display. After a goalless first half, Rooney struck in the 56th minute when he met a cross from former Wigan winger Antonio Valenica with a perfect header.

That was Rooney's 100th goal for United and it opened the floodgates. Dimitar Berbatov put United in complete control in the 58th minute. The Bulgarian finished a flowing move by chipping over Chris Kirkland. Rooney ended any doubts about the result in the 65th minute when his shot deflected off Mario Melchiot and flashed past the wrong-footed Kirkland.

Owen came off the bench to score for the first time since Janaury with a sublime clipped finish. Nani got on the scoresheet himself in the 90th minute.

Arsenal maintained their impressive start to the season with a 4-1 victory over Portsmouth. Wenger still made four changes to the side that beat Celtic, but it proved a successful move as French midfielder Abou Diaby opened the scoring in the 18th minute.

Diaby converted Emmanuel Eboue's cross for his second goal three minutes later but Portsmouth reduced the deficit when Younes Kaboul headed home in the 37th minute. Any hopes of a fightback from Paul Hart's team were ended in the 51st minute by William Gallas. Aaron Ramsey confirmed Portsmouth's third successive defeat in the 68th minute with his first league goal for Wenger's team.

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor repaid another slice of his £25 million transfer fee as the Togo star's cool finish sealed a 1-0 win over Wolverhampton at Eastlands. City handed Carlos Tevez his full debut and the former Manchester United forward's cushioned 17th-minute pass picked out Adebayor, who drove in his second goal in two games since joining City from Arsenal.

Trinidad and Tobago forward Kenwyne Jones fired Sunderland to a 2-1 victory over Blackburn. Rovers took the lead in the 21st minute when French defender Gael Givet smashed a long-range effort past Marton Fulop. But Sunderland equalised after 32 minutes as Jones took advantage of a slip by Christopher Samba to slot home. In the 53rd minute Jones met Lee Cattermole's cross with a header to seal the points.

Hull won the first time in 13 league matches as Algeria striker Kamel Ghilas's first goal for the club earned a 1-0 victory over Bolton at the KC Stadium. Stoke recovered from their midweek thrashing by Liverpool by grinding out a 0-0 draw at Birmingham.