MMC rally to win, BBC hold Sankata

Himalayan News Service

Kathmandu, May 9:

Manang Marsyangdi Club (MMC) rallied to beat Boys Union Club (BUC) 1-0, while Brigade Boys Club (BBC) held Sankata Club to a 2-2 draw in the day’s matches of the Martyrs’ Memorial Everest A Division League Football Tournament here today. Defending champions MMC had to wait until 82nd minute to break the deadlock through defender Sagar Thapa, who played in midfield in absence of Rajesh Shahi (suspended for three matches).

Whatsoever, Manang Marsyangdi claimed the top spot in the standings with 13 points from five matches, ahead of Three Star Club and Mahendra Police Club, both on 12 points. Boys Union Club, which struggled to save them from the relegation zone in the last season, has three points from four matches. Brigade Boys Club earned their first point after they held Sankata Club, which is in sixth position with six points. At Dasharath Stadium, MMC not only failed to register easy victory, but also were troubled by the relatively weak opponents, BUC.

Tashi Tshering almost gave MMC a lead in the 20th minute, but his powerful volley from the D-line on Basanta Gauchan’s pass went inches above the cross bar. MMC skipper Kumar Thapa had a chance two minutes later, but failed to convert in one-to-one situation with BUC goalkeeper Deepak Dangol. In the 25th minute, Tashi Tshering muffed up a chance on Basnata Thapa’s cross.

In the 40th minute, BUC custodian Deepak Dangol was injured in a clash with MMC striker Basanta Thapa, which forced the glovesman leave the field after he got struck in his stomach.

To everyone’s surprise. the BUC second-choice goalkeeper Prakash Shrestha had a brilliant save in the 65th minute, when he spectacularly punched out Basanta Thapa’s close range shot. BUC striker Utsav KC’s header hit the cross bar on Sunil Subedi’s cross two minutes later. Utsav KC and Sete Nagarkoti, both od Boys Union Club, received yellow card in the match.

In the other match, BBC took lead through Anil Gurung’s spectacular goal in the 25th minute. Sankata Club goalkeeper Ujjwol Manandhar gave a desperate dive, but Gurung’s 25-yarder powerful shot was out-of-reach. BBC joy did not last long as Bikash Narayan Shrestha levelled the equaliser after eight minutes on Ekjan Tuladhar’s pass. Sankata took a 2-1 lead through striker Jibesh Pandey in the 48th minute, when he guided the ball alone from the centre and dodge two defenders before firing into the net.

BBC skipper Ramesh Rana Magar levelled the score in the 64th minute, netting a free kick directly. BBC earned the controversial free kick when a Sankata defender allegdly handled the ball just outside the penalty area. BBC skipper Ramesh Rana Magar and Deepak Thapa of Sankata were cautioned with yellow cards.