NRT end MMCs unbeaten run

KATHMANDU: New Road Team (NRT) ended the unbeaten run of Laxmi Hyundai Manang Marshyangdi Club (MMC) with a 2-0 win while Nabil Three Star Club defeated bottom of the table Sankata Kathmandu Mall Club 2-1 in the Martyrs Memorial San Miguel A Division League here today.

Despite the loss, MMC (16pts) stay atop the standings, one point ahead of holders Nepal Police Club. NRT leapfrogged NIB Friends Club for the third place. Three Star jumped three places up to fifth with 11 points while Sankata were pushed deeper to the relegation zone with three points losing six matches.

NRT outplayed MMC in all departments and took control of the match entirely. Ranjeet Shrestha and substitute Subhash Gurung scored for NRT but the win margin could have been higher had they not muffed up several other opportunities. Ranjeet converted a Roshan Karki cross and Subhash cashed in on misunderstanding between MMC custodian Bishal Shrestha and defender Palsang Lama in the 72nd minute. Bishal and Palsang had no communication to defend a Jeevan Sinkeman cross that fell between the two but Subash intercepted it to head home.

MMC coach Chhiring Lopsang admitted his side couldn’t play their natural game due to the absence of suspended midfielder Ganesh Khadka and South Korean forward Lee Ji Hoon. NRT coach Diken Suwal said his boys played the way he wanted them to.

In the other match, Vijay Gurung scored one and assisted in the other as Three Star rallied to beat Sankata 2-1. Vijay converted a superb freekick and set another goal for Santosh Sahukhala. Nirajan Malla scored his first goal in the league in the 14th minute to put Sankata ahead following a pass from Arjun Subba from corner.

Vijay equalised in the 28th minute before setting up the winner in the 47th when Santosh headed home on the winger’s corner kick. Md Nurul Karim’s excellent goalkeeping prevented Sankata from conceding more goals. The goalie blocked Sanjeeb Budhathoki’s shot in the 45th minute before diving full stretch to deny a powerful shot from Santosh.

Sankata looked better than their previous matches but were let down by the forwards. Ram Kumar GC missed a sitter from the goalline while a dipping shot from Kamal Bista was parried by Three Star keeper Kiran Chemjong.

Sankata were down to 10-man after skipper Kailash Dangol was sent off for his second bookable offence in the 75th minute. Three Star coach Bal Gopal Maharjan said he was not with team’s performance. “My boys are still not playing with full confidence, especially, when we had one-man advantage for last 20 minutes,” said Maharjan.

Sankata officials turn wild

KATHMANDU: Sankata Kathmandu Mall Club, who belong to ANFA CEO Indra Man Tuladhar, officials on Monday tried to manhandle the fourth official Hari Kumar Khatri during their Martyrs Memorial A Division League match against Nabil Three Star Club. Khatri had rightfully asked the club officials not to come out of their dugout. Rules states that only one official can come out of the dugout at a time. But incredibally it incensed them.

The scene turned even ugly when, during the same period, Sankata skipper Kailash Dangol was sent off for his double bookable offence. The club officials verbally abused Khatri and match commissioner Kumar Jung Thapa and even tried to manhandle referee Sudish Pandey invading the pitch.