RCT down Sankata; NRT win

Kathmandu, November 4:

Subhash Rai’s 68th minute strike gave New Road Team (NRT) a 1-0 win over Brigade Boys Club (BBC) while Ranipokhari Corner Team (RCT) edged Sankata Club 2-1 in Martyrs’ Memorial San Miguel ‘A’ Division League football at the Dasharath Stadium today. In the first match of the day, it was BBC who had first shot at goal in the 28th minute when Ashok Pun beat a NRT defender but shot wide of the target following Gyanendra Thapa’s pass. BBC goalie Binod Gurung denied Rakesh Lama in the 52nd minute and made yet another brilliant save seven minutes later blocking Rojit KC’s 20-yard powerful strike.

In the counter attack, NRT goalie Surendra Shrestha made even better save as he palmed out Shekhar Limbu’s shot. Subhash Rai found the winner through a free kick in the 68th minute. His shot from just outside the D-box sailed into the nets leaving goalie Binod Gurung stranded. In the 85th, BBC had a chance to equalise but Binod Thapa squandered the opportunity. NRT coach Raju Shakya blamed his team’s under performance to the festival break. “Most of our players hail from outside the valley and we had little time for practice. We earned three points that is what matters most,” said Shakya.

“Our expectation from the game was not high,” said BBC coach Suman Yonzon, who fielded eight new players. “NRT is a good team and I am not surprised by the result,” said Yonzon.

In the other game, Rishi Rai and Subodh Jung Rana scored for RCT while Ranjeet Shrestha pulled one back for Sankata.

Rishi Rai wasted a golden chance in the 11th minute following a blunder from Sankata goalie Rupak Shrestha, who mis-timed his shot and passed the ball to Rai, who failed to capitalise on the chance. Rai amended his mistake scoring in the 31st minute. Sankata pressed hard for the equaliser but RCT goalkeeper Manish Hada denied them twice in the 59th and 65th minute. First, he denied Ranjeet Shrestha’s 25-yard shot and foiled another long range attempt from Prabin Karki.

RCT doubled their lead in the 76th minute following a misunderstanding between defender and goalkeeper. Deepak Bhusal let the ball to goalie Rupak Shrestha but Subhash Rana was quick enough to loft the ball over Shrestha. Sankata pulled one back through Ranjeet Shrestha’s spot kick in the injury time after Sulabh Rana handled the ball inside the D-box.

RCT coach Baiju Kapali said he was satisfied to have earned three points. Sankata coach Maheshwor Mulmi blamed festival break for his team’s no show. Sankata skipper Bikash Singh Chhetry said that his boys were over confident. “We had beaten them in our previous encounter, so the boys took it with ease,” he said.