Rogers gets through nets session
Birmingham, July 27
Australia opener Chris Rogers came through a nets session against the tourists’ pace attack with no visible ill-effects at the Edgbaston cricket grounds on Monday as he aimed to prove his fitness for the third Ashes Test.
The 37-year-old left-hander succumbed to a sudden bout of dizziness during the second Test at Lord’s last Sunday and had to leave the field as Australia completed a 405-run thrashing of England to level the five-match series at 1-1. A week of tests in London revealed nothing more serious than a balance problem in the inner ear, thought to have been caused when he was hit on the helmet by a short ball from James Anderson at Lord’s in his first-innings 173 — Rogers’s Test-best score.
Following Monday’s net session, Australia fast bowler Mitchell Starc insisted Rogers had been given a proper workout. “We all had a bowl at him,” the left-arm quick told reporters. “He seems to have come through it pretty well. I haven’t seen him since the net but all reports are that he is good to go,” added Starc, with the third Test set to start at the Birmingham ground on Wednesday. “I think he will have another hit tomorrow (Tuesday), and and seems to be good.”
Starc was adamant Australia’s quicks hadn’t eased up against Rogers, who missed the recent 2-0 Test series win in the Caribbean with a concussion suffered while batting in the nets. “Yes it was full tilt,” said Starc. “We are all preparing for a Test match. If everyone is bowling full tilt and he gets through that then he is ready to go. No-one is holding back, no matter who is at the other end.”
Rogers, who plans to retire after the Ashes, missed the three-day tour match at Derby completed on Saturday where Shaun Marsh — who replaced him in the West Indies — made a first-innings hundred in a rain-affected draw.