Nepal | August 04, 2020

Australia to make Google and Facebook pay for news content

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Share Now:

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA: Global digital platforms Google and Facebook will be forced to pay for news content in Australia, the government said Monday, as the coronavirus pandemic causes a collapse in advertising revenue.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission would release in late July draft rules for the platforms to pay fair compensation for the journalistic content siphoned from news media.

Australia’s Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, right, with Minister for Communications Paul Fletcher speaks in Canberra, Monday, April 20, 2020. Photo: Mick Tsikas/AAP Image via AP

Frydenberg said he believed that Australia could succeed where other countries, including France and Spain, had failed in making Google and Facebook pay.

“We won’t bow to their threats,” Frydenberg told reporters. “We understand the challenge that we face. This is a big mountain to climb. These are big companies that we are dealing with, but there is also so much at stake, so we’re prepared for this fight.”

The ACCC had attempted to negotiate a voluntary code by which the global giants would agree to pay traditional media for their content.

But the parties couldn’t agree on “this key issue of payment for content,” Frydenberg said.

Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said Australia would take a different approach to Europe, relying on competition law rather than copyright law.

Google and Facebook said they had been working to the ACCC November deadline to negotiate a voluntary code.

“We’re disappointed by the government’s announcement, especially as we’ve worked hard to meet their agreed deadline,” Facebook Managing Director for Australia and New Zealand Will Easton said in a statement.

“COVID-19 has impacted every business and industry across the country, including publishers, which is why we announced a new, global investment to support news organisations at a time when advertising revenue is declining,” he added, referring to a $100 million investment in the news industry announced in March.

Google said said it had engaged with more than 25 Australian publishers to get their input on a voluntary code.

“We have sought to work constructively with industry, the ACCC and government to develop a code of conduct, and we will continue to do so in the revised process set out by the government today,” a Google statement said.

ACCC Chairman Rod Sims played down the prospect of Google shutting down its Australian news platform rather than pay for content as it had done in Spain.

“Around 10% of search results are media stories. This will seriously affect the usefulness, for example, of Google Search, so I think we have to understand that there’s value both ways here and I think it will be hard for Google and Facebook just to say we won’t have any contact with news media at all,” Sims told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Michael Miller, Executive Chairman Australasia of News Corp. Australia, the nation’s largest newspaper publisher, said, “We are looking for a fair payment and at the same time a substantial payment.”

Frydenberg declined to estimate how much Google and Facebook would pay news media, other than to say it would amount to millions of dollars.

Google was netting 47% of online advertising spending excluding classified ads in Australia, and Facebook was claiming 24%, he said.

Media companies have stopped printing dozens of newspaper mastheads across Australia because the pandemic shutdown has caused advertisers to stop spending.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

In Pictures: Silent Kumbheshwor mela on Janai Purnima

Lalitpur, August 03 The natural spring at the Kumbheshwor temple complex is believed to have originated from Gosaikunda Lake in Rasuwa district. It is also believed that taking a dip in the pond during Janai Purnima is same as doing so in Gosainkunda. On the occasion of Kumbeshwor Mela or Janai P Read More...

Landslides kill 10 in Nepal as heavy rains take toll in South Asia

KATHMANDU/DHAKA: Heavy rain in Nepal triggered landslides on Monday that killed eight labourers at a construction site and two members of a family, taking the toll in floods and landslides to 177 since late May. Elsewhere in South Asia, the annual rainy season brought more misery with at least 1 Read More...

Resurgence of Covid-19 cases in Nepal as 418 new cases surface on Monday, tally reaches 20,750

KATHMANDU: As many as 418 new coronavirus infection cases have surfaced on Monday, taking the nationwide count to 20,750. The new infections were confirmed after testing 7,637 specimens through PCR method across the nation in the last 24 hours. As of today, 398,907 PCR tests have been carried out Read More...

Enough is Enough campaigner Iih hospitalised following health issues

KATHMANDU: Social activist and initiator of ‘Enough is Enough’ campaign, Iih, 26, who has been on fast-unto-feath satyagraha at Basantapur for 17 days, has been admitted to a hospital. Iih was taken to HAMS Hospital today after his health started deteriorating owing to over two-week-long stri Read More...

Over 116 villages at risk of being swept away by landslides in Bajura

BAJURA: More than 116 villages are at the risk of being swept away by landslides triggered by incessant rain in Bajura district. According to Bajura District Administration Office, the villages located in nine local levels of the district face imminent risk of landslides. Disaster Preparedness Read More...

India refutes reports on prohibition of Nepalis' 'illegal' entry to Kalapani, Lipulekh, Limpiyadhura and Gunji

KATHMANDU: Indian authorities in Uttarakhand have rejected the reports on India's correspondence with Nepal's Darchula District Administration Office seeking prohibition on entry of Nepalis to Kalapani, Limpiyadhura, Lipulekh and Gunji. Indian side Dharchula's Sub-District Magistrate Anil Kumar S Read More...

Nepal COVID-19 Update: 418 new cases, 358 recoveries recorded Monday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on the coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 398,907 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method have been carried ou Read More...

Bodies of eight missing in Sindhupalchok landslide recovered

SINDHUPALCHOWK: Bodies of all eight people who had gone missing in a landslide that occurred in Melamchi Municipality of Sindhupalchok district on Sunday night have been recovered today. Police Inspector Phal Bahadur Tamang at Meamchi-based Area Police Office said that seven of the deceased were Read More...