Eight killed in luxury hotels’ blasts in Indonesia
Attack shatters four-year-old
JAKARTA: Suicide bombers who checked in as guests smuggled explosives into American luxury hotels in Indonesia’s capital and set off a pair of heavy blasts that killed eight people and wounded more than 50 otherson Friday.
The near-simultaneous bombings ended a four-year lull in terror attacks in the world’s most populous
Muslim nation. At least 18 foreigners were among the dead and wounded.
The blasts at the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels,
located side-by-side in an
upscale business district
in Jakarta, blew out windows and scattered debris and glass across the street, kicking up a thick plume of smoke. Facades of both hotels were reduced to twisted metal. An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw bodies being shuttled away in police trucks.
Alex Asmasubrata, who was jogging nearby, said he walked into the Marriott before emergency services arrived and “there were bodies on the ground, one of them had no stomach,” he said. “It was terrible.” Two Australians and a New Zealander were believed to have been killed, but there was confusion about the exact number of victims.
“I have grave concerns for three Australians following the terrorist bombings in Jakarta earlier today,” Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd told reporters later on Friday. “One of these Australians is an Australian Embassy official. These figures may be the subject of further change.” Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said the attack was carried out by a “terrorist group” and vowed to arrest the perpetrators. He also suggested a possible link to the national election last week that is expected to hand him another five-year term as president, but he provided no details.
Suspicion will fall on the Southeast Asian Islamist militant group Jemaah Islamiyah or its allies. The network is blamed for past attacks in Indonesia, including a 2003 bombing at the Marriott when 12 people died.
“Those who carried out this attack and those who planned it will be arrested and tried
according to the law,” a somber-looking Yudhoyono told a news conference. Manchester United football
team cancelled a planned visit to Indonesia. The team had been scheduled to stay at the Ritz tomorrow and on Sunday for a friendly match against the Indonesian All Stars.
Jakarta police chief Major General Wahyono said two
suicide bombers carried out the attacks at the hotels. The suspects of the Marriott bombing stayed on the 18th floor, where un-detonated explosives were found after Friday’s twin explosions.
“There were several perpetrators,” he told reporters. “They were disguised as guests and stayed in room 1808.” US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton condemned the bombings as reflecting “the viciousness of violent extremists” and said they “remind us that the threat of terrorism remains very real.”
The European Union condemned the blasts as “brutal.” The Marriott was hit first, followed by the blast at the Ritz two minutes later.
Security Minister Widodo Adi Sucipto told reporters at the scene the hotel blasts happened at 0045 GMT and that “high explosives were used.”
Anti-terrorist forces with
automatic weapons were rushed to the site, and authorities blocked access to the hotels in a district also home to foreign embassies.
“This destroys our conducive situation,” Sucipto said, referring to the nearly four years since a major terrorist attack in Indonesia - a triple suicide bombing at restaurants at the resort island of Bali that killed 20 people.
The security minister and police said a New Zealander was among those killed, and that 17 other foreigners were among the wounded, including nationals from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, South Korea the US and the UK. The dead New Zealander was identified by his employer as Timothy David Mackay, 62, who worked for cement products manufacturer PT Holcim Indonesia. He was reportedly attending a business meeting at the Marriott Hotel when the explosions occurred.
Noel Clay, a US State
Department spokesman in Washington, said that several American citizens were among the injured. Three Americans were listed as patients at
a local hospital.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for
the attacks, but terrorism
analyst Rohan Gunaratna said the likely perpetrators were from the Al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah.lull • Al-Qaeda-linked Jemmah Islamiyah suspected for strikes