Nepal | August 04, 2020

Ex-Sudan strongman al-Bashir gets 2 years for corruption

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Share Now:

KHARTOUM: A court in Sudan convicted former President Omar al-Bashir of money laundering and corruption on Saturday, sentencing him to two years in a rehabilitation facility.

That’s the first verdict in a series of legal proceedings against al-Bashir, who is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of war crimes and genocide linked to the Darfur conflict in the 2000s.

The verdict came a year after Sudanese protesters first began their revolt against al-Bashir’s authoritarian rule. During his three decades in power, Sudan landed on the U.S. list for sponsoring terrorism, and the country’s economy has been battered by years of mismanagement and American sanctions.

Al-Bashir has been in custody since April, when Sudan’s military stepped in and removed him from power after months of nationwide protests. The uprising eventually forced the military into a power-sharing agreement with civilians.

Under Sudanese law, al-Bashir, 75, is to be sent to a state-run rehabilitation facility for elderly people who are convicted of crimes not punishable with death.

Before the verdict was read, supporters of al-Bashir briefly disrupted the proceedings and were pushed out of the courtroom by security forces.

The former strongman was charged earlier this year with money laundering, after millions of U.S. dollars, euros and Sudanese pounds were seized in his home shortly after his ouster.

Sudan’s military has said it would not extradite him to the ICC. The country’s military-civilian transitional government has so far not indicated whether they will hand him over to the The Hague.

The corruption trial is separate from charges against al-Bashir regarding the killing of protesters during the uprising.

Anti-government demonstrations initially erupted last December over steep price rises and shortages, but soon shifted to calls for al-Bashir to step down. Security forces responded with a fierce crackdown that killed dozens of protesters in the months prior his ouster.

Saturday’s verdict, which capped monthslong trial, could be appealed before a higher court.

In August, al-Bashir told the court that he received through his office manager $25 million from Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.

He said the crown prince did not want to reveal that he was the source of the funds, so he did not deposit the money in the country’s central bank.

He said the money was being used for donations not for his own benefit. At least $2 million dollars went to a military hospital and $3 million to a Sudanese university, he said.

Al-Bashir said $5 million was given to the Rapid Support Forces, a paramilitary unit that grew out of the feared Janjaweed militias unleashed during the Darfur conflict in the 2000s.

The RSF is led by Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, who is also a member of the newly appointed Sovereign Council that is to rule Sudan during a three-year transition.

Protesters accuse the RSF of leading the crackdown against them that started with the brutal break-up of their sit-in camp in Khartoum earlier in June.

Al-Bashir did not provide documents or records for the spending.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

In Pictures: Silent Kumbheshwor mela on Janai Purnima

Lalitpur, August 03 The natural spring at the Kumbheshwor temple complex is believed to have originated from Gosaikunda Lake in Rasuwa district. It is also believed that taking a dip in the pond during Janai Purnima is same as doing so in Gosainkunda. On the occasion of Kumbeshwor Mela or Janai P Read More...

Resurgence of Covid-19 cases in Nepal as 418 new cases surface on Monday, tally reaches 20,750

KATHMANDU: As many as 418 new coronavirus infection cases have surfaced on Monday, taking the nationwide count to 20,750. The new infections were confirmed after testing 7,637 specimens through PCR method across the nation in the last 24 hours. As of today, 398,907 PCR tests have been carried out Read More...

Enough is Enough campaigner Iih hospitalised following health issues

KATHMANDU: Social activist and initiator of ‘Enough is Enough’ campaign, Iih, 26, who has been on fast-unto-feath satyagraha at Basantapur for 17 days, has been admitted to a hospital. Iih was taken to HAMS Hospital today after his health started deteriorating owing to over two-week-long stri Read More...

Nepal COVID-19 Update: 418 new cases, 358 recoveries recorded Monday

KATHMANDU: Nepal’s Health Ministry, in its regular press briefing, shared the latest updates on the coronavirus contagion from across the country, and government’s response to the health crisis. As of today, 398,907 tests through Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) method have been carried ou Read More...

Bodies of eight missing in Sindhupalchok landslide recovered

SINDHUPALCHOWK: Bodies of all eight people who had gone missing in a landslide that occurred in Melamchi Municipality of Sindhupalchok district on Sunday night have been recovered today. Police Inspector Phal Bahadur Tamang at Meamchi-based Area Police Office said that seven of the deceased were Read More...

Kathmandu Valley on Dipawali Laxmi Puja from Swayambhunath

Steady rise in COVID-19 cases in Kathmandu valley, 51 infections reported today

KATHMANDU: As many as 51 new cases of the coronavirus infection have been reported in Kathmandu valley on Monday, as per the information provided by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) in its daily media briefing. Among the 51 cases, 43 hail from Kathmandu while five cases of transmissio Read More...

Thrashing of security guard in Malaysia: Sufferer, assailant Nepali nationals

KATHMANDU: The Embassy of Nepal in Malaysia has issued a statement on the thrashing of a security guard that took place in the capital city of Kuala Lumpur on the morning of July 7. The video showing a security guard being thrashed recently went viral on various social media. The embassy had e Read More...

BTS reveal English single is titled ‘Dynamite’, set for Aug 21 release

KATHMANDU: K-pop boy band BTS have revealed that their upcoming English single is titled Dynamite and set for an August 21 release. Taking to Twitter, the band's label Big Hit Entertainment announced the news with a pink poster that simply had the BTS logo at the top, the eight letters of the w Read More...