Children in Yavatmal district in the Indian state of Maharashtra were victims to the polio vaccination incident; their condition is now stable
KATHMANDU, FEBRUARY 2
Owing to sheer carelessness on the part of health authorities, as many as 12 children in Yavatmal district in the Indian state of Maharashtra were administered hand sanitiser in the place of oral polio vaccine drops, on Sunday.
The children, all of whom are in the age group of one to five, were admitted to a government health facility, as per Indian news portal The Hindu. Following the medical blunder, the children are reported to be in sound health. Meanwhile, according to a district official, the matter will be probed and three health personnel involved in the incident will be dealt with stringently.
The mishap took place amid the National Pulse Polio vaccination campaign, on Sunday, January 31, at Bhanbora Primary Health Centre. The incident came to light after one of the children complained of vomiting and restlessness subsequent to taking the polio drops.
It has been learnt that the affected children have now been inoculated against polio and are currently under observation at the Government Medical College in Yavatmal.
The Hindu has also quoted another official as saying that the incident was reported after the village sarpanch (chief) on inspecting the medication found them to be hand sanitiser and not oral polio drops.
People in the locality are in fear and have demanded action against those involved.
Featured Image Courtesy: Unicef