Humanitarian crisis stares at war-torn Swat
MINGORA: Pakistani jets screamed over a Taliban-controlled town today and bombed suspected militant positions as hundreds of thousands fled in terror and other trapped residents appealed for a pause in the fighting so they could escape.
The UN said half a million people have either already left or are trying to flee the bombings in the northwestern Swat Valley area that followed strong US pressure on nuclear-armed Pakistan to fight back against militants advancing toward the capital as a now-defunct peace deal crumbled.
Pakistan has launched at least a dozen operations in the border region in recent years, but most ended inconclusively and after massive destruction and significant civilian deaths. It remains a haven for al-Qaida and Taliban militants, foreign governments say. To end one of those protracted offensives, the government signed a peace accord in Swat that provided for Islamic law in the region. But that deal began unraveling last month when Swat Taliban fighters moved into Buner, a neighbouring district just 100 kilometres from Islamabad. Pakistan’s prime minister appealed for international
assistance yesterday for the growing refugee crisis and vowed to defeat the militants in the latest operation. “I appeal to the people of Pakistan to support the government and army at this crucial time,” Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said in a television address. “We pledge to eliminate the elements who have destroyed the peace and calm of the nation and wanted to take Pakistan hostage at gunpoint.” The military hailed signs of the public’s mood shifting against the Taliban after the militants used the peace deal to regroup and advance.
“The public have seen their real face,” Major General Athar Abbas said. “They realise their agenda goes much beyond Shariah (Islamic) courts. They have a design to expand.” Still, the pro-Western government will face a stiff task to keep a sceptical nation behind its security forces.
The mayor of Mardan, the main district to the south of the fighting, said an estimated 250,000 people had fled in recent days and that more were on the move. Of those, 4,500 were staying in camps, while the rest were with relatives or rented accommodation, he said. Pakistani officials have said up to 500,000 are expected leave. The exodus from Swat adds to the more than 500,000 already displaced by fighting elsewhere in Pakistan’s volatile border region with Afghanistan.
A spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Ron Redmond, said Friday in Geneva that up to 200,000 people have arrived in safe areas in the past few days and that another 300,000 are on the move or are about to flee.
Military operations are taking place in three districts that stretch over some 1,000 square kilometres. Much of the fighting has been in the Swat Valley’s main city of Mingora, a militant hub that was home to around 360,000 people before the insurgency two years ago. Many of those have fled the city, but tens of thousand remain. Some have said the Taliban are not allowing them to leave, perhaps because they want to use them as “human shields” and make the army unwilling to use force.