India-Pakistan talks deferred after air base attack
New Delhi, January 14
India and Pakistan have agreed to reschedule talks between their foreign secretaries, the Indian foreign ministry said today, while an investigation into a deadly attack on an Indian military base is carried out.
India has demanded action against the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad that it suspects of carrying out the attack on the Pathankot air base. Islamabad has held Jaish leader Maulana Masood Azhar and other members, sources say.
Indian foreign ministry spokesman Vikas Swarup said New Delhi welcomed the steps taken by Pakistan against the militant group, which was also blamed for a 2001 Parliament attack that nearly led to a war between the nuclear-armed rivals. He said the foreign secretaries of the neighbours spoke on the phone and decided to defer the talks that had been tentatively scheduled for Friday in Islamabad. The two diplomats agreed to hold the talks aimed at achieving a thaw in ties in the very near future but no date was announced.
The Pakistani foreign office said a new date had not yet been decided. “We welcome the statement issued by the government of Pakistan yesterday on the investigations into the Pathankot terrorist attack,” Swarup told reporters. “The statement conveys that considerable progress has been made in the investigations being carried out against terrorist elements linked to the Pathankot incident.”
Seven Indian military personnel were killed in the January 2 attack on the base in Punjab, which was followed by a raid on an Indian consulate in Afghanistan that has also been linked to Jaish-e-Mohammad.
Pakistan promised to investigate who was behind the assault on the air base after India handed over evidence that it said implicated Jaish-e-Mohammad.