Quake victims still awaiting relief
Kavre, February 26
Octogenarian Krishna Bahadur Shrestha of Panchkhal is yet to receive the government-allotted relief amount of Rs 10,000 meant to buy winter clothes though the winter season is already over.
“As the winter is almost over, the government seems to have forgotten its pledge too,” quipped 82-year-old Shrestha, who has been living in a makeshift shelter next to his house, which was damaged in the earthquake last year.
“Ever since the quake, we’re living like tramps without homes, while the government has turned a blind eye to our plight,” said Bishnu Prasad Gautam of the same village. Gautam, who has physical disability, also accused the government of cheating them.
“As we are disabled, the government should make houses for us and increase our disability allowance in view of our condition,” he demanded.
Maina Danuwar of Panchkhal-10, Ojhetar, said living in the open had become a bane for the elderly. “Life in makeshift tents has made elderly and children prone to cold-related ailments, including common cold, cough and asthma,” said Danuwar.
“On the one hand, our family members are falling ill in the improvised shelters, while on the other hand, there is the danger of wild beasts, which have so far eaten over 100 goats and fowls,” she said, adding,”At a time when the government has failed to provide us with the relief amount of Rs 10,000, how are we to believe in its bogus promise of rebuilding our quake-damaged houses?” she asked.
As per sources, some 8,876 quake victim families of Panchkhal and 19,552 victim families in three municipalities and four VDCs of the district have yet to receive the relief amount meant for winter clothes despite the government’s pledge to provide the amount to all quake victims by January 8.
As many as 63,672 victim families of two municipalities and 71 VDCs of the district had received the allowance two months ago.
Basudev Bhetwal, executive officer at Panchkhal municipality, said, “It’s true that many victims have yet to receive the allowance.
We are unable to distribute the cash relief as the district administration has not dispatched the amount yet,” he argued, while Chief District officer Balkrishna Panthi, on his part, accused the home ministry of leaving the quake victims in the lurch by not sending the relief amount.
“As the ministry has stopped releasing the amount by citing ‘unnatural’ swell in the number of victim families, it has affected many genuine victims here,” said Panthi, adding that around Rs 200 million was required to distribute relief to the remaining victims in the district.