Amrit Jha still in Iran custody; release report premature, says MoFA
Published: 12:00 pm May 19, 2026
KATHMANDU, MAY 19 The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has clarified that Nepali national Amrit Jha, arrested in Iran on charges of smuggling and trafficking illegal goods from Qeshm Island, remains in judicial custody in Bandar Abbas, with his case currently under review by an Iranian court. Issuing a press statement, the ministry said Jha was detained in early January 2026 along with six other foreign nationals by Iranian security forces, prior to the outbreak of the US–Israel–Iran conflict on February 28, 2026. The ministry further stated that on April 15, 2026, the Nepali honorary consul in Iran informed the Nepali chargé d'affaires in Qatar that Jha had been released and that a release letter had been issued. Based on this communication, an informal statement was issued by the ministry indicating his release. The Foreign Minister had also shared the information publicly on social media. However, the ministry later received updated information that Jha had not been released and that an Iranian court had ordered an expert report in connection with the case. It was subsequently confirmed that the legal proceedings were still ongoing. The ministry said the earlier information created confusion and inconvenience and expressed regret over the situation. According to the latest update, the expert report prepared by the designated committee is in the process of being submitted to the court. The case remains under judicial consideration in Iran, and the ministry said diplomatic efforts are ongoing to ensure fair legal proceedings and consular support for the Nepali citizen in line with Iranian law. The ministry reiterated that all possible diplomatic channels are being used to follow up on the case and ensure due legal process.