Nepal | June 03, 2020

Ministries seek additional budget of Rs 200bn

Sabin Mishra
Share Now:

Kathmandu, October 16

At a time when the government is struggling to spend the allocated capital budget, ministries are seeking additional Rs 200 billion from the Ministry of Finance (MoF).

“We have been receiving files from the ministries almost every day asking for additional budget,” said Kewal Prasad Bhandari, chief of Budget and Programme Division of the MoF, adding that the ministry, however, has not endorsed a single request.

According to the sources at MoF, the finance ministry has toughened its stance on releasing additional funds to the ministries in line with the direction from the finance minister.

“Finance Minister Gyanendra Bahadur Karki has specifically instructed the concerned divisions under MoF not to release a single paisa, as the capital spending has been extremely unsatisfactory,” said a source seeking anonymity.

As per MoF, Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport (MoPIT) is seeking maximum amount of additional budget — Rs 27.23 billion. MoPIT has said it plans to utilise the additional funds to execute few new projects and for repair and maintenance of the projects that were affected by the floods and landslides of July and August.

According to MoF sources, MoPIT is seeking additional budget also for construction of roads that began last year and which were supposed to be handed over to the local levels.

“But now MoPIT officials are claiming that the local administrations don’t have the technical know-how to handle the projects and that the ministry want to take on the tasks by itself. But something seems amiss in their argument. Perhaps they want to retain their hold on the money.”

MoPIT officials were not available for comment.

Similarly, the Ministry of Irrigation (MoI) has applied for Rs 17 billion and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation is seeking around Rs eight billion. Both ministries have said they would need the extra budget to reconstruct the projects affected by the floods and landslides.

“We wouldn’t be asking for extra budget if we didn’t need it,” said Sagar Kumar Rai, spokesperson for MoI, adding major works have been affected as the MoF has not released the funds. He refused to divulge the details of the affected projects.

However, the MoF has already clarified that it would only release the budget for repair and maintenance of projects affected by the natural disaster after the National Planning Commission finalises the Post-Disaster Need Assessment (PDNA).

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence has applied for Rs 24 billion to purchase helicopters for the Nepali Army and the Ministry of Home Affairs is seeking around Rs 15 billion for Nepal Police to purchase helicopters and land in the Capital.

“It is quite a paradox that the ministries seeking additional budget have very little to show in terms of spending for the development works through the budget allocated to them, which is why we are not entertaining their requests,” said Bhandari.

The government has aimed to spend 29 per cent of the total allocated capital budget of the current fiscal year within the first quadrimester, that is, by mid-November. However, according to the data maintained by the Financial Comptroller General Office, the government has spent only Rs 14.30 billion or 4.27 per cent of the total allocated capital budget of Rs 335.17 billion as of today.

“It really is unacceptable for ministries to seek additional budget when they are having a hard time meeting capital expenditure target, especially as the target was set by themselves when they entered their plans and programmes into the Line Ministry Budgetary Information System,” said Finance Secretary Shanta Raj Subedi.


A version of this article appears in print on October 17, 2017 of The Himalayan Times.


Follow The Himalayan Times on Twitter and Facebook

Recommended Stories:

More from The Himalayan Times:

Tropical storm kills 17 in El Salvador and Guatemala

SAN SALVADOR: Rains from Tropical Storm Amanda left at least 17 dead and seven missing while causing extensive damage across El Salvador and Guatemala that pushed thousands of people into shelters amid the coronavirus pandemic. EL Salvador Interior Minister Mario Durán said Monday some 7,000 peo Read More...

Is pedestrian and cycle-friendly mobility possible post-lockdown? 

Kathmandu   Cycling to his place of work, Dr Paban Sharma, Professor at Patan Academy of Health Sciences, has had to face the brunt of the police officials on more than one occasion. Ever since the nationwide lockdown was imposed on March 24, Sharma’s preferred means of commute has been h Read More...

Nepal Airlines Corporation, Airbus, aircraft, Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, Toulouse, France

Nepal Airlines operated 22 chartered flights during lockdown

Kathmandu, June 2 Although the government had restricted operations of domestic and international flights in the wake of nationwide lockdown, the national flag carrier, Nepal Airlines Corporation (NAC), has been conducting chartered flights under special conditions. According to the Corporation, a Read More...

Preparing schools for a changing digital landscape

In the last two decades, the world has witnessed a dramatic shift in both its educational and technical landscapes. Nepal has attempted to follow suit. I grew up in a middle class family in south eastern Nepal. We did not have a computer at home, let alone a cell phone. My family used a dial up p Read More...

Coronavirus cases in Karnali Province jump to 252 with 54 new infections

KATHMANDU: Fifty-four additional people have tested positive for the coronavirus infection in Karnali Province, on Tuesday. As of today, five districts of the province have witnessed cases of COVID-19. With the newly confirmed infections, number of cases has reached 252 in the province. Until Read More...

In Pictures: Masks On, Game On

Local youths playing cricket to spend time during lockdown with their mask on for safety in Kshetrapati, Kathmandu, on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. Photo: Balkrishna Thapa Chhetri/ THT Read More...

Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 6.29 million, death toll nears 375,000

At least 6,290,684 people have been reported infected with the novel coronavirus globally and 374,933 have died, a Reuters tally shows. Infections have been reported in more than 210 countries and territories since the first cases were identified in China in December 2019. Meanwhile, US he Read More...

FIFA asks leagues to use "common sense" over Floyd protests

BERN: World soccer's governing body FIFA has asked competition organisers to use "common sense" with players who display messages of protest over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man killed in police custody in the United States. FIFA regulations bar players from displaying any "po Read More...