61 lawmakers do not sign on Nepal's Constitution 2072
KATHMANDU: Sixty-one lawmakers missed out on the opportunity to sign Nepal's Constitution 2072.
After the Constituent Assembly endorsed it with an overwhelming majority on Wednesday, September 18, each member of the Constituent Assembly were summoned to the CA building on Friday to sign the copies of the new charter before the CA Chairman, Subas Chandra Nembang, would formally authenticate it.
When put to vote, the new charter had garnered support from the 507 out of 532 CA members present in the CA on Wednesday. All 25 lawmakers of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party, however, had voted against it.
On the other hand, 60 lawmakers of the Madhes-based parties had boycotted the voting process owing to their differences over the number and demarcation of the purported federal units. Five others had remained absent.
Despite his poor health condition,Meghraj Nepali of Madhes Samata Party Nepal, who had boycotted the voting process, showed up at the CA today to sign the dossier.
Biswendra Paswan of Bahujan Shakti Party, Rajya Laxmi Golchha of CPN-UML and Laxman Rajbanshi-Nepa Rastriya Party, who did not take part in the voting, also signed the copies today.
Pradeep Giri and Shila Gautam Khadka of Nepali Congress remained absent during voting as well as signing.
Who did not sign
• Lawmakers of Madhesi Janaadhikar Forum- Democratic — 14
• Lawmakers of Tarai Madhes Democratic Party — 11
• Lawmakers of Federal Socialist Forum-Nepal — 15
• Lawmakers of Sadbhawana Party — 6
• Lawmakers of Tarai Madhes Sadbhawana Party — 3
• Lawmakers of National Madhes Socialist Party — 3
• Lawmakers of Tharuhat Tarai Party-Nepal — 2
• Lawmaker of Nepal Sadbhawana Party — 1
• Madhesi Janaadhikar Forum-Republican — 1
• Lawmaker of Sanghiya Loktantrik Rastriya Manch-Tharuhat — 1
• Independent lawmaker (Chandreshwor Jha) — 1
• Lawmaker of UCPN-Maoist (Prabhu Sah) — 1
• Lawmakers of Nepali Congress (Pradeep Giri and Shila Gautam Khadka) — 2