Narayanhiti Durbar Museum collects over Rs 174 m revenue
KATHMANDU: Ever since the gates of the Narayanhiti Durbar Museum were open to general people some seven years ago, the flow of people, local and foreigners, has continued without fail.
A total of 2,079,760 people, including foreigners, have visited the former royal palace, informed the museum management committee.
The committee stated that they have collected Rs 174.2 million from entry and parking fees.
The former palace was turned into a museum on June 15, 2008, and was opened to the general people on February 26, 2009, following the declaration of Nepal as federal republic after the fall of age-old institution of monarchy that followed the 2058 BS royal massacre.
Talking to the Rastriya Samachar Samiti, the museum management committee chief Rohit Kumar Dhungana informed that so far only 19 chambers of the museum are open to general people.
He added that other 12 chambers are yet to be opened for public viewing the lack of budget.
Dhungana also said that the plan is afoot to provide a one-day package to those visiting the museum.
He said that the second phase of the reconstruction of the structures damaged by the April 25 earthquake will be completed within the Nepali year of 2074 BS, while the first phase of the reconstruction of Tribhuvan Sadan, where the royal massacre occurred, is at the final stage.
Former King of Nepal Birendra Shah and his family members and relatives were murdered in cold blood in 2058 BS.