NHRC blames security lapse for Tikapur incident
Kathmandu, March 7
The National Human Rights Commission today demanded action against those found guilty in the Tikapur incident.
The national human rights watchdog said victims of the incident were dragged out of their houses, held hostage, doused with petrol and set on fire in a premeditated manner.
Eight police personnel, including Senior Superintendent of Police Laxman Neupane, who was also the chief of Regional Police Office, Dhangadi, and an infant were killed in the clash between Tharuhat activists and police in Tikapur, Kailali. The incident took place on August 24, 2015.
The NHRC said negligence of security agencies, lack of coordination and security lapses were to be blamed for the incident.
Similarly, the NHRC blamed provocative speeches by undivided far-west and Tharuhat supporters, Nepal Sadbhawana Party Chair Rajendra Mahato, Federal Socialist Forum-Nepal Chair Upendra Yadav, Nepali Congress lawmaker Amresh Kumar Singh, CPN-Maoist Centre’s leader Dev Gurung for the incident.
The NHRC has recommended departmental action against Armed Police Force DIG Khadananda Chaudhary and Superintendent of Police of APF, Ugratara Battalion, Laxman Bahadur Singh, for not taking proper action to prevent the loss of lives.
The commission has asked the government to caution then chief district officer of Kailali, Raj Kumar Shrestha, and then administrative officer at Area Administration Office, Tikapur, Suman Dhital.
The commission has recommended providing proper education and employment to the families of the deceased cops.
The NHRC has also asked the government to provide compensation to the Tharu community, whose houses, shops, hotels, and FM radio station were either vandalised or set on fire immediately after the incident .
Likewise, in Rangoli and Dianiya incidents, the NHRC has asked the government to ensure presence of CDOs in the concerned districts and provide compensation to the families of the deceased and free treatment to those injured in the incidents.
Three people were killed in the incidents, which took place on January 21, last year.
The NHRC concluded that security forces exercised maximum force in Bethari’s incident.