TRC directive finalised at last
Kathmandu, July 6
Truth and Reconciliation Commission has finalised its directive, paving the way for investigation into complaints lodged by the conflict victims.
In absence of the directive, the TRC had not been able to begin preliminary investigation into over 50,000 complaints lodged by the conflict victims.
TRC Chairman Surya Kiran Gurung said the directive had been framed in keeping with international standards. He said Istanbul Protocol on investigating human rights violations during war had been taken as a reference while preparing the directive.
Complaints lacking adequate evidences will be kept pending as per the guidelines.
TRC member Madhabi Bhatta, however, said there were chances of cases of serious human rights violation being ignored if complaints lacking adequate evidences were kept pending.
As per the directive, investigation into conflict-era cases would be carried out in two phases.
During preliminary investigation, all complaints received by the TRC would be screened and categorised as per the nature of crimes. The genuineness of complaints would be checked and then short-listed for full investigation.
In the first phase, a study will be conducted on whether the cases are backed by substantial evidences. The number of murders and property seizures would be established in the first phase.
In the second phase, investigation into serious crimes like murder, abduction, rape and physical and mental tortures would be carried out. In this phase, cases like would be thoroughly investigated by recording statements of victims, perpetrators and witnesses.
“The directive has provided a framework and guideline to begin investigation into complaints lodged by conflict victims,” said Bhatta.